Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Printed Name/Date is way too small

samysnes

Hello all!

I have recently upgraded our team's PCs to Mastercam 2020 and we are having an issue with the printed Name/Date that appears at the top of a print (see picture)
Once on paper it is laughably tiny. So much so that our operators in the warehouse are complaining that they can barely read the program number.

Is there a way to make it bigger?

mcam_print.thumb.PNG.31b0711a093d85a19042377eba31153d.PNG

3 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Make a note on a level and use that and do away with that process. There might be a way to change that, but not one I am aware of.

Unfortunately we were looking  to have something that automatically puts the filepath on the printed page. We frequently dish out hundreds of programs a day so manually adding a note isn't really a solution. Printing the filepath worked flawlessly in X7 so it's mind boggling why they would reduce the font size this much.

1 hour ago, samysnes said:

Unfortunately we were looking  to have something that automatically puts the filepath on the printed page. We frequently dish out hundreds of programs a day so manually adding a note isn't really a solution. Printing the filepath worked flawlessly in X7 so it's mind boggling why they would reduce the font size this much.

Reach out to your dealer and see if they have a better solution. You can make a script to pull that and place it on the level automatically, but someone would have to know C# or something to make it.

17 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Reach out to your dealer and see if they have a better solution. You can make a script to pull that and place it on the level automatically, but someone would have to know C# or something to make it.

@byte may be able to help you out with that script.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Thad said:

@byte may be able to help you out with that script.

I have very limited knowledge of VB sadly but I've been experimenting with adding the path in our DWG in Autocad before importing in Mastercam. We use routers to engrave giant sheets of aluminium so our programs are always flat and 3-axis only. Therefore, we are able to add lines of text in Autocad before importing in Mastercam.

However, when I try to import a DWG that has a filepath written in it, Mastercam looks like it cannot convert the backslash \ character properly. It just produces a garbled mess...
See pictures. Also, exploding the text into geometry isn't really an option because the text in Autocad has to remain in text form for the filepath to be generated automatically when we "save as". I have tested a dozen different fonts both in Acad and Mcam and nothing has worked so far...

Autocad Filepath.PNG

Mastercam Filepath.PNG

22 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Writing a drafting note to the mastercam database would require a chook add-in.

There is an existing cnc software official example project that demonstrates this, i will post a link, you could also draw the text using graphics during a mcnotify event, I will get the link for you after my lunch.

I could throw an example together, give me a few days, I have a lot of peojects but I can work this in.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:37 PM, samysnes said:

Hello all!

I have recently upgraded our team's PCs to Mastercam 2020 and we are having an issue with the printed Name/Date that appears at the top of a print (see picture)
Once on paper it is laughably tiny. So much so that our operators in the warehouse are complaining that they can barely read the program number.

Is there a way to make it bigger?

mcam_print.thumb.PNG.31b0711a093d85a19042377eba31153d.PNG

Create level. Name the level. Print name with level. Name appears at bottom of page.

10 minutes ago, BILL HUNTER said:

Create level. Name the level. Print name with level. Name appears at bottom of page.

thats a good idea that may give you what you need in a different way. you would need to check the box shown below for this idea to work

1112233.jpg

4 hours ago, samysnes said:

Oh I assumed that the add-ins would be done in VB like the custom setup sheets. I will try my best to get familiar with these C hooks.

Thanks to everyone for your time!

c#,vb.net,f#, and c++/cli add-ins are called nethooks and are written in .net languages part of the common language runtime(clr).

Chooks are written in c++, the first thing you need to build chooks is visual studio 2017 community edition(free) and the mastercam 2020 sdk, after that you can download and compile the example project i referenced.

I made a few youtube videos of building a c++/cli nethook that can "talk" to the chook sdk. 

There is also a video about installing visual studios :