Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Version X

somename75

I have not been able to find any info on the improvements or problems with version 9 that are supposed to be fixed with version 10. I am looking for a little help in case I need it to justify the maintence or update charge. My company likes to plan ahead so I would like to get my ducks lined up asap. Are any of you guys playing with version X yet? If so how is it?

Thanks

quote:

X will have the option of choice the new GUI interface and old GUI Interface

I was told that users will be able to choose between the new X interface and the old interface.

The person who told me this is someone who should know, so I expect it is true.

I sure would like to see for myself biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...The person who told me this is someone who should know, so I expect it is true...

When was the last time you asked the question out of curiosity?

James teh curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought him back. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hmmmm. I'd ask again just to make sure. You know how things change - especially with new releases. I'm not saying this because I know the answer to this, but because I don't know with 100% certainty.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'll bet they'll be showing beta at IMTS. They can't take V9 to IMTS AGAIN. That would be marketing suicide, and they KNOW that.

As an end user, a good, solid, stable, program sure beats insect riddled software any day of the year.

JM2C

I'm not sure if i want to step in here or just lurk... I was kind of hoping James would hijack this thread. wink.gif

The Alpha release to our dealers happened as planned. The purpose of that release was to get as much feedback as possible in time so we could do something about it. We got so much good feedback that we decided to rework some things we had not planned on. Currently we are winding down those changes and working in some new stuff we are inventing for X. Hopefully we will be making a Beta announcement in the next couple of weeks.

The GUI on X is completely new and will require a little time to get used to. The good thing is that it is so customizable for each users preferences you will easily be able to make it just like you want.

As for a option to have an interface EXACTLY like version 9, that won't happen. We considered it and realized that maintaining 2 interfaces would be an extremely difficult proposition. We are maintaining some key things that will help users learn the new interface quicker, but it won't be identical to V-9.

Many mentioned the CADKEY transition, believe me we have considered that in every decision. I and several others here were at CADKEY during that time and know what happened first hand. But that was almost 9 years ago, many users are now used to a Windows style GUI so things won't be as traumatic as they were then.

Will there be a learning curve? - You damn betcha

Will you keep a copy of V-9 on your system to work with while you transition to X? - You'd be crazy not to.

Once you get used to the new product will you like it? - We are staking our future on it.

As for when will it be released, we want to get it right the first time. There is no benefit to anyone if we ship before it is ready. I am very confident it will be shown at IMTS, if it isn't released by then it will be rock solid. But i have been wrong before biggrin.gif

But like 8 & 9, some new things may not work, like with the extended entry/exit moves new to 9.1, they're not available and may cause toolpaths to need a regen in 9.0 or 8.

Thanks for taking the time, Ken. Now we'll all be salivating for the next few months. wink.gif

'Rekd teh "Once you get used to the new product will you like it? - We are staking our future on it." cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I'm not sure if i want to step in here or just lurk... I was kind of hoping James would hijack this thread...

Sorry to disappoint Ken. I keep what I know very close to the vest because I enjoy knowing things early. I want ot keek on knowing things early so I keep quiet until you guys officially say things for public consumption. biggrin.gif

James teh loose lips sink ships