Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New build for Mastercam 2021

.olli

Hi everybody,

I'm currently looking at which PCs to buy for my two Mastercam users. Initially, I wanted to go with Dell or Lenovo but configuration options (at least in Germany) are limited. As a result, I'm planning on putting together a system myself but am unsure about the exact specifications. Currently, my build consists of the following parts:

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming WiFi
  • NVIDIA RTX A4000
  • 32GB DDR4-3000 Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • 500GB Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0
  • be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W

This will cost me around EUR 2,500. Any suggestions for improvement? I'm not looking to skimp on parts to save a few bucks but to buy a future-proof machine.

Thanks.

I saw that the mainboard supports RAM up to DDR4-5100 but wasn't sure about the performance benefit (if any). Regarding the SSD: Files will be saved on a local server and/or OneDrive, so there's really no need for more storage space.

Regarding the Benchmark: That's why I chose the Ryzen, it's under the Top 10 in terms of single thread performance.

Edited by .olli
19 minutes ago, .olli said:

I saw that the mainboard supports RAM up to DDR4-5100 but wasn't sure about the performance benefit (if any). Regarding the SSD: Files will be saved on a local server and/or OneDrive, so there's really no need for more storage space.

Regarding the Benchmark: That's why I chose the Ryzen, it's under the Top 10 in terms of single thread performance.

SSD are not meant just for storage the read write capability of the SSD and doing work locally when possible is the benefit. Working from the cloud everything will always be a slave of that. Saving files to the cloud okay, but I would never recommend to anyone to think working off a cloud for Mastercam would be faster than working locally and then saving to the cloud after the work is done.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

SSD are not meant just for storage the read write capability of the SSD and doing work locally when possible is the benefit. Working from the cloud everything will always be a slave of that. Saving files to the cloud okay, but I would never recommend to anyone to think working off a cloud for Mastercam would be faster than working locally and then saving to the cloud after the work is done.

As far as cloud is concerned - yes it can slow things down some. However all my master files are cloud stored on an intranet (maybe not true cloud?) and they appear to perform just as well in those locations as they do when I have experimented with local storage. My main CMD, MMD, and Defaults files are network stored as well. Is that what you mean when you say "working from the cloud" and being a slave to that speed?

As far as SSD, I will never run a PC without it now. When I got my workstation they forgot to swap the HDD for the SDD and it was like...lightyears slower. Booting Mastercam took 60 seconds, and with SSD it takes 5-10 seconds. Regen is much faster, everything is better with SSD.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...