Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Wall stock on angled wall

Sigurd

I have attached a file of an electrode that I'm working on. In the third operation, I go around the bosses with the cutter set to -.005" stock in order to get my .005"/side overburn. My question is about the angled surface that I'm finishing in the fourth operation. When I set a wall stock value like -.005" does Mastercam offset along a machine axis (Y in this case) or normal to the surface? That small flat from sharp corner to sharp corner measures .020 and I need it to be .010 on the carbon. 

RH 11659-60 electrode.mcam

Okay so we cut alot of trodes here. When you use minus stock it will take it perpendicular to the plane your cutting. I would use flow line on that angled surface  (-.005) . The path your using curently dips below the surface than back up which makes it awkward to see on verify. So you should cut -.005 with your 2 d and with 3 d paths and it will take what you need for a "spherical orbit" You can always put it in a sideview and replay and see that its taking correct stock. Now if your using a different orbit on you sinker than  stock has to be handled different.. With spherical, and sharp corner on your trode will end up with a .005 radius  in the steel. 

55 minutes ago, danatoem said:

Okay so we cut alot of trodes here. When you use minus stock it will take it perpendicular to the plane your cutting. I would use flow line on that angled surface  (-.005) . The path your using curently dips below the surface than back up which makes it awkward to see on verify. So you should cut -.005 with your 2 d and with 3 d paths and it will take what you need for a "spherical orbit" You can always put it in a sideview and replay and see that its taking correct stock. Now if your using a different orbit on you sinker than  stock has to be handled different.. With spherical, and sharp corner on your trode will end up with a .005 radius  in the steel. 

Thanks. I tried flowline and it's leaving a cusp up at the very top. I do see that it takes the stock perpendicular to the surface. It appears that that ends up cutting too much stock away. I need that TSC between the top of the trode and the angle to move .005" in the Y axis.

We do circular orbiting in the XY axis for almost all of our jobs. So yes, a .005" radius is left in the corner and that's fine. 

I've got the waterline path running in the machine right now. I started at -.002 stock and now I've adjusted it to -.004. This is not a critical feature, but I'd like to be able to get it right. And, I'm self-teaching here at work.

On 11/11/2021 at 3:21 PM, danatoem said:

So if you take .005 off the angled face than -.005 off of the top flat face that should put you  right on the money!  

See, I don't want to touch the top flat face with the toolpath. I've already trued that up in the surface grinder. 

I did watch that video. Will likely have to watch it again. 

I think that I can say we never use spherical orbit here at work. It's always either XY for most "normal" core/cavity work or YZ for a slide face.