Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Turning tools - where to find small diameter longer length boring bars?

Aaron Eberhard

On today's project, I have a taper to turn down to .125", but it's 1.5" deep.  I've found a few solid carbide boring bars that go down to ø.120" @ 1" of depth, and I can grind them to fit, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a source that had a longer reach?  Yes, I know the deflection would be horrible at that diameter & length, but I'm not sure how to get in there otherwise.

So far, my best finds are from Micro100, Harvey, and Scientific America.  All of my other standards only seem to have insert tooling, which doesn't go down to small enough of a diameter.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, gcode said:

Maybe modify an extension sleeve

Or have a bar ground from a solid blank

A quick hack I've used in the past is to buy a 2 flute taper mill and grind clearance so it can be used as a boring bar

This works OK for light work in aluminum

Luckily a 2" OAL will work, if I just grind back a bit of the shank area for clearance, I was just hoping to not have to have them do that for every one, ya know?   

Ron - I haven't found anything on PH Horn, but that could be me... They have a pretty crappy website compared to some of the others :)  Thanks for the suggestion!

4 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Luckily a 2" OAL will work, if I just grind back a bit of the shank area for clearance, I was just hoping to not have to have them do that for every one, ya know?   

Ron - I haven't found anything on PH Horn, but that could be me... They have a pretty crappy website compared to some of the others :)  Thanks for the suggestion!

I always use their catalogs to find tools. I cannot find anything long enough to do what you are after. I would make a form tool undersized and then a from tool to size and just do the whole shape in one shot and call it a day.