Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Trying to avoid rotary limit

Jespertech

I'm working on a part that has slots machined around the body and due to the size of tool and depth of slot I'm taking multiple depth cuts to achieve a nice finish.

Which is working out very well, the only issue is that at one point in the code the C-axis reaches its limits as for as degrees rotated goes and creates an unwind.

Besides wasting a few seconds it really doesn't affect anything else... But man are those seconds keeping me up at night.

So I started looking through the machine definition and post control settings to see if there was a limit I could set that would keep my c-axis within a 360 degree spread.

I've had no luck,  perhaps someone here has had a similar headache and could help a fella out before I lose it.

Thanks 😅👍

code.png

part.png

I know that in the case of things like the C axis of UMC's, when running a Next Gen Control, there are no longer any windup limits and you can safely change the control def min and max travel limits to a number of 9's in a row, (or go and edit your .pst if the axis limit values are stored there), to remove the unwind being added to your posted code. I think the limit still exists on the ST20's, however. You can give it a try and the worst that will happen is it'll reach the machine's max windup and then stop and throw an error when you hit degree 36,001.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, crazy^millman said:

Change the Min and Max Travel to -360 and +360 and see what that gives you.

For reasons unknown to me even after changing those values it still presented a continuous revolution of the C-axis. I was pretty certain that would do the trick but no luck. I'm also using transform rotate in the program so that could have some influence as well. I'll keep these things in mind though and mess around more when things slow down a bit. Thank you for the input. 

18 hours ago, Chally72 said:

I know that in the case of things like the C axis of UMC's, when running a Next Gen Control, there are no longer any windup limits and you can safely change the control def min and max travel limits to a number of 9's in a row, (or go and edit your .pst if the axis limit values are stored there), to remove the unwind being added to your posted code. I think the limit still exists on the ST20's, however. You can give it a try and the worst that will happen is it'll reach the machine's max windup and then stop and throw an error when you hit degree 36,001.

Thanks Chally, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to editing the .pst files but will hopefully be putting some hours into Collins youtube channel to learn more. Once I gain a little confidence there I'll surely be giving that a go. 

6 minutes ago, Jespertech said:

For reasons unknown to me even after changing those values it still presented a continuous revolution of the C-axis.

Depending on the version and age of your post, it may or may not respect  Control and Machine Definition settings

You may have to make your rotational limit settings inside the post itself

• Thanks 1