Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3+2 Roughing

Kendo

What the heck controls the depth being cut in this 3+2 op I've been poking around with?

Example on youtube makes this look waaaaay too easy...

I can't find a setting that even affects the depth, the stock was selected as a solid, represented by the wireframe box around the part

The solid box under the part was for fixture avoidance.

The last two steps are beyond the stock material, and the final step has an insanely small stepover for some reason. I don't even know where it's coming from.

I need to use a 2nd plane from the backside, but when I did that, the first plane was still cutting way deeper than necessary

image.png

Steep / Shallow... sure wish I could find it

I've used it in other toolpaths but this is 3+2 "auto roughing" and theres no steep / shallow I can find

Even when I use two tool planes, opposed at 180 to each other, both directions will cut the entire depth of the geometry from top to bottom and beyond the stock in both directions. This is with .100 step down

image.thumb.png.9869b9a8608068ffa78966d903f44bbf.png

Hey Kendo, could you post the file or send it to me if possible so I can poke around and offer some suggestions?

In the subpages under Cut Pattern, there are options for height control similar to steep/shallow, but a lot of conventional Optirough wisdom does not apply here.

Looking at your part shape and approaching it with my apps engineer hat, I'd probably choose to go after this with multiple Optiroughs with stock models, but with some preconfigured settings with 3+2 auto, perhaps you can get something approaching as efficient as opti with a little less time invested.