Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T mmsonline

jolson6

Today I was looking at my April edition of Modern Machine Shop and on the contents page I noticed a box about their online CAD/CAM selector. I proceeded to try it out and to my surprise it would not recommend Mastercam for any combination of picks. What's up with that? I would think Mastercam should be a choice for any combination of picks since they are a sponsor of this web site!

cuckoo.gif

On the topic of mmsonline or Modern Machine Shop in general.

I do not much care for Lynch since in MHO he just runs with the stuff that everybody else does and simply adds’ his name to it. Hoffman on Tooling seems to have some merit, but who knows, I might be getting snowed on this as well.

I am so very disappointed in what it is that used to be a respectable magazine, has but turned into nothing more than a cash grab for whoever it is that is serving this crap up. Mastercam deserves much more than a simple byline since it is the industry standard – but the big boys just keep getting the fluff (go figure).

If Lynch could actually square a block of metal then I would surely be surprised.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

I think its about the mighty dollar, That wouldnt surprise me. Mastercam gets DAWGED alot on there

myself (COREY B.)and also I see rekd and James both as well as a few others try to straighten people out about Mastercam in they're forum, But they could care less.

Don't feel so slighted, there are some other notables missing from the publication.

PTC and Catia both have solid 5ax capabilities and are excluded. Remember the purpose of the publication is to make money and when you send out a free magazine, the revenue is exclusivly thru advertizing and so I would sugget that this "Querry" is a selection of the folks that paid to have there names there.

I do not hold MMS in very high regard and find

Cutting Tool Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, T&P and American Machinist much more informative and frankly better written than MMS. I have also seen MC advertised in these publications and so they are reaching the intended audience of decision makers and I would drop the MMS exposure if it was my decision to make - unless the hope is to have the brand in the widest distribution possible - then I would keep the small adds and not participate is this "Incremental Sales" promotion.

The conduct of MMS’s last four years sort of reminds me about the time when Toyota paid something like 30K to become the car of the year in 1967 (It completely baffles me regarding the actual year, but it is true and this did happen).

MMS has lost its impact and tradition by simply trading its philosophy for the ominous greased palm – this is all too apparent to any one with the slightest inkling of professional ethic, never mind the apprentice that is barely learning the metal manufacturing trades; truth be known, I believe this corporation to be all but bankrupt - as it deserves to be.

Yes I have received the free copy for the last twenty years as I am sure many other forum members do as well – Now, I just simply toss it in the trash and choose not to read this publication any more. A very long time ago, I used to put myself down as an engineering manager or plant superintendent just to get on their mailing list – those were the days when I felt special or hungry enough to receive the free copy and this really meant something to me back then...

Even though CNC Machining published by Haas is heavily weighted to their product line, as this might well be expected, I find their articles to be excellent, informative, and written in good taste. I am not in the market for a Haas but I am intrigued by their publication. Now if I could only trade some stories for some manufacturing equipment then I might be a happy camper some day. biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack