Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

data path limits

PROG_MAN_DO

Has anyone had a problem with the file structure being so deep that mastercam crashes. We are using V9.1 MR0304

We are working off the network. Here is what the file structure looks like:

P:/folder name/folder name/folder name/folder name/folder name/folder name

It is essentially 6 levels deep and P: would be the mapped drive to the network. I found out a couple of things.

1-if I go to the 5th folder level it posts fine

2-if I rename all the folders and use an underscore between the names it posts fine to the 6th level. (folder_name)

What's up? confused.gif

Think this might be a file sever problem with the network time protocalls. I am no IT person but I have seen time call limits on certain systems give fits to some computers. I thin kthere is an Hkey or soemthing that can fix this problem but not sure. I think Bulliness or one of the other more informed guys can offer a more informative answer to your problem.

I have seen a problem where the number of characters gave a problem. That was definitely not a network problem (everything was stored locally on the laptop). That problem did not make Mastercam crash, it only placed some files in the wrong directory with odd names. I think the limit I found was 140 or 180 characters.

I regularly post out of folders 6 to 8 deep in a directory or a network drive. (MR0304)

I have had no problems related to this that I could tell.

I would about bet Ron (Millman^Crazy), is most likely correct – a timing issue with the server of some kind.

JM2C

Later,

Mark

Do this go into the MSDOS prompt and type Ipconfig.

You will then see some information about the IP address you are using. I would then go to the computer you are postign to and do the same and gets it's IP address. I then in dos type ping that IP address like so.

C:ping 123.45.6.78

I would do this both ways then I would do this to a computer right next to you. You will then get back the delay of that time if it is great then I am thinking this is a slow server and if your computer does not have that set correct in it TCP/ICP setting or soemthing like that again no IT guy just know things I have done to fix problems I have had in the past.

One other thing about ping is it will tell you if you are losing data in the ping also.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Is this path long engough???

code:

mjamesPROJECTSToolingSH-8000YourNetworkAdminGuyNeedsToFindADifferentLineOfWorkTodayToolpath Group 1.nc

I posted to this folder just now.

This would be what, 10 levels deep??? headscratch.gifcuckoo.gif

What :?~?

No TCP/IP frown.gif

we are not running TCP/IP protocol for security reasons.

_______

This is teh very clever decision .

next up to throw your comp. through window.

FYI ,there are a lot of ways and tools to ensure your little Lan security ,but TCP/IP I put even on peer to peer LANs with more than 2 computers .

quote:

NetBEUI is not routable, and the only configuration required for the protocol is a computer name.

It means that every computer can answer Netbeui call ,it is unsafest thing in the world .

and every problem with network card in the net ,may be on third computer can cause problems for all the network.

It may be not a cause of your problems ,but

configure right TCP/IP protocol ,all the windows network side of this too ,put some firewall and disable netbeui .

When I am creating new network I install netbeUI at first only for network check ,configure TCP/IP and deinstall netbeui .

Teh life is full of wonders biggrin.gif

+1 Christian

I once had this following folder on XPSP1 NTFS parttion.

"E:prgsUtilsMultiMedia CD DVDCD DVD Tools inc movie conversion MPEGBurning Reading Specially Region FreeMisc-IFOEdit and othersIFOEDITGuide on splitting a DVD9 into two DVD5's - Club CD Freaks - Worlds largest CD-DVD community - Knowlegde is power_files"

There are some files/folders in the last folder but I couldn't access them, moreover there was no properties available and I can't rename dir too.

The solution was to shorten the parent folders names and I could CHDIR to last folder. biggrin.gif

P.S If you want to try it. Create parent folders. MKDIR last folder with 1 letter name. Then rename folder to the "Guide on splitting a DVD9 into two DVD5's - Club CD Freaks - Worlds largest CD-DVD community - Knowlegde is power_files".

Now you can't CHDIR to it.

If you go to http://www.microsoft.com then select supportknowledgebase and enter 'filename limits' (without the quotes), you will see there are limits to the filename length as well as the length including the path.

For DOS applications this is a low as 64 characters. Other operating systems are limited to 127 characters or 248 characters, TOTAL.

So, what is the full path? (note that if your admin has mapped your drive P to point to the server d:mastercamprograms that your P: is really 22 characters PLUS your path.

quote:

Ping

Verifies connections to a remote computer or computers. This command is available only if the TCP/IP protocol has been installed

1.Ping command will not work ,cause you do not have tcp/ip protocol installed

2. try to use setdirs.dll c-hook to point to the pass to your networkdrive/directory.

3. if that workes make setdirs.dll your start c-hook through screen->config.

HTH

WTHH

Last I recall, directory limit was 255 character + 1 for a NULL (character arrays in C/C++ anyone? wink.gif ) so 256. But now in the latest version of the Windows SDK, MAX_PATH is defined as 260. But that doesn't neccessarily mean they're using MAX_PATH (Ex: char szPostedPath[140]). Now I'm meandering elsewhere wink.gif

I'm sorry you're stuck using NetBEUI. Is NetBIOS enabled on your workstation and the computer that your P drive is mapped to? Do you receive an error before Mastercam crashes?