Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Windows Messenger

gcode

I got a new machine today running

Win XP SP1. Can anyone tell me how to kill WIndows Messenger??

It launches when I open OUtlook Express or

Internet Explorer.

I tried uninstalling it from the Add-Remove

page. It unistalled everything except Messenger

Help say you can diable it through the

Set Program Access page, but that doesn't work either.

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

quote:

Shoot the Messenger

Windows/MSN Messenger and the Messenger service are two totally different things. "Shoot the Messenger" disables the Messenger service (which anyone can do without the need to download an app to do it for you) but it does not remove Windows/MSN Messenger.

Getting rid of Windows/MSN Messenger from XP is a bigger PITA than it needs to be. First, go to the Add/Remove Program applet in the Control Panel. Click the "Add/Remove Windows Components" button. Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck "Windows Messenger" and then reboot when you're done. Then when you're back in Windows, open the Run dialog and enter this:

code:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%INFmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Reboot again and that's the end of Windows/MSN Messenger, unless you install it again. HTH.

I tried unistalling. It came back mad.gif

I tried disabling it in Administrative Tools

It still worked. mad.gif

I tried disabling it with gpedit.msc

That killed it, but Outlook Express took 5 minutes to launch and become functional.

curse.gif

Then I renamed C:Program FilesMessenger

to Messenger Sucks. That worked. rolleyes.gif

After reading your post, I tried that.

It kicked back an error message about unregistering an OTC, but Messenger doesn't seem to be working anymore. biggrin.gif

Thanks

[ 05-02-2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Ggode..if you subscribe to AOL...you can use keyword "Messenger pop-ups"...this will start an utility to automate disabling of Windows pop-ups.

Or,

Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel).

Double-click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services.

Double-click Messenger.

In the Startup type list, click Disabled.

Click Stop, and then click OK

hijack

qoute:

__________________________________________________if you subscribe to AOL

when i got my new computer for home last year(gateway) it came with 1 year free aol i told them i did not whant it and thet saidit had to get installed due to contract obligations.i must say that was the first thing i deleted off the hard drive. imo aol is a pain in the arse.worms are meant for fishing not cluttering up a hard drive.

this is just my opinion sorry to offend.

trevor

quote:

Or,

Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel).

Double-click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services.

Double-click Messenger.

In the Startup type list, click Disabled.

Click Stop, and then click OK

Once again...

MSS/Windows Messenger and the Messeger are two totally entirely completely different things. Windows/MSN Messenger is Microsoft's instant messaging client. The Messenger service is responsible for sending/receiving administrative alerts (and more recently spam). Disabling the Messenger service doesn't prevent MSN/Windows Messenger from launching when Windows starts OR Outlook/Outlook Express is launched OR you log into a website using Passport. Using my above fix doesn't disable administrative alerts (or Messenger service spam).

hey bullines,

you said:

totally entirely completely different

seeing as your from canada it makes me think you listen to the tragically hip.that saying reminds me of fully completly smile.gif

trevor