Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need Help. May be a windows problem???

metalmansteve

Hi Guys,

Out of the blue Mastercam is not working.  This started late last week.  I had v9, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023 all installed however I've been using 2021as my daily.  

This started as an 'unknown error with workspace file' upon launching.  Also an error message with 'cant find file location' when trying to post.

I understand workspace files getting corrupt and deleting them and relaunching.  That wasn't the issue.

Was on the phone with my reseller and the guys at CNC last night.  3.5 hours.  Everyone is stumped.  

To this point, we have checked the graphics card settings, windows 10 is up to date and working (unfortunately no restore point).  I have uninstalled and wiped all mastercam files from the drive, cleared the registries, reinstalled 2021.  It wouldn't launch after splash screen but after I manually added the 'my mastercam 2021' and 'shared mastercam 2021' I can get it to launch .... again with the workspace and posting error...also crashes at closing.  If I remove the mastercam.workspace file it wont launch and it wont rewrite a new one.

I'm Running as administrator. 

I have gone to the 'my mastercam 2021' folder and allowed permission.  One thing that's weird though is when I unclick the 'read only' attribute....it wont stick.  I come back after trying to launch and the 'read only' box is checked again.  

I've scanned for viruses, uninstalled antivirus software.  Used ccleaner to clean registries.  Updated drivers.  Code meter is working.  I have a Dongle...hasp is being read. 

All versions of mastercam worked properly last week and all versions started having the same symptoms and errors.  There wasn't a windows update just prior to this happening.

We're to the point of wiping the entire C drive and starting over but I REALLY do not want to do that.  All my other programs are working fine.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Microsoft .NET has caused many issues that I have seen over the years,

Several times I have had to uninstall it as far back as it will let and then reinstall startoing with older to newer versions...

Can't say for certain "that's it" but I have seen some strange issues with it over theyears.

7 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

Are you using 'One Drive'?

One Drive is on my computer but I don't have much in it.  Less than a gig.  I use dropbox for almost all of my file storage. 

8 minutes ago, JParis said:

Microsoft .NET has caused many issues that I have seen over the years,

Several times I have had to uninstall it as far back as it will let and then reinstall startoing with older to newer versions...

Can't say for certain "that's it" but I have seen some strange issues with it over theyears.

I will look into this.  I see they have a 'repair tool'

What Graphics Card?

Try Right-Clicking on your Desktop, and use Nvidia Control Panel (if you have their graphics card). Then, under Manage 3D Settings, to the Global Settings, and pick "Solidworks or Dassault Systems - V5 / 3D Experience". Then, go to "Program Settings" Tab, and choose "Add", and navigate to each version of Mastercam (under Program Files, find the ".exe" file for Mastercam). After adding the Mastercam Program, make sure "High-performance NVIDIA processor" is selected.

Fun Windows Fact > even if you have a nice graphics card, your system won't use it, unless you tell it to!

Do this for > Program Files Folder, My Mastercam Folder, and Shared Mastercam Folders:

On each Folder, Right-Click > Properties > Security Tab > Users (find your profile) > Edit > Set "Full Control".

23 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

What Graphics Card?

Try Right-Clicking on your Desktop, and use Nvidia Control Panel (if you have their graphics card). Then, under Manage 3D Settings, to the Global Settings, and pick "Solidworks or Dassault Systems - V5 / 3D Experience". Then, go to "Program Settings" Tab, and choose "Add", and navigate to each version of Mastercam (under Program Files, find the ".exe" file for Mastercam). After adding the Mastercam Program, make sure "High-performance NVIDIA processor" is selected.

Fun Windows Fact > even if you have a nice graphics card, your system won't use it, unless you tell it to!

Do this for > Program Files Folder, My Mastercam Folder, and Shared Mastercam Folders:

On each Folder, Right-Click > Properties > Security Tab > Users (find your profile) > Edit > Set "Full Control".

Here is the process for Program Files/Mastercam XXXX this is for 2021, but any Mastercam version in my humble opinion should be set to run this way.

image.thumb.png.6b213a7b7e710fe526f989171e75d1a9.pngimage.png.e3c55af0708c971f7f4ffc1002892e80.pngimage.png.2108a68c8be62b28d92007c1e206b433.png

• Like 2