Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fixture offset macro calculator

mirek1017

Hello All ,I am start programing 2 boring machines ,one is Johnford  with fanuc 31 i  model b control ,2nd one is Toshiba  BTD-13 F.R22 with tosnuc 8 cotrol .

I am looking some macro for calculation my offsets around table  like   B90  B180  AND B -90  .This some standard in the control ,or we have to update this ?

Thank you for any helping 

I use this on our horizontals with fanuc controls. Simple and reliable, easy for the operators to understand. In this instance, #530 is X center of rotation and #531 is Z center of rotation.

Edit: Your "original" (#100 and #101) work offset and B axis value are your base (WCS) offsets. Enter your desired work offset value in #102 and desired B-angle in #103. Run the program and your desired offsets will automatically populate.

Offset Calculator Macro.nc

Just now, JParis said:

I calculate and post mine right out of Mastercam

23 minutes ago, TFarrell9 said:

I use this on our horizontals with fanuc controls. Simple and reliable, easy for the operators to understand. In this instance, #530 is X center of rotation and #531 is Z center of rotation.

Edit: Your "original" (#100 and #101) work offset and B axis value are your base (WCS) offsets. Enter your desired work offset value in #102 and desired B-angle in #103. Run the program and your desired offsets will automatically populate.

Offset Calculator Macro.nc 3.21 kB · 0 downloads

thank you  so much 

Just now, JParis said:

I calculate and post mine right out of Mastercam

thank you 

how I can calculate this in mastercam ?

3 minutes ago, mirek1017 said:

how I can calculate this in mastercam ?

There was a G10 post that someone had shared years ago, though I forget who did it but copy the logic out of that and done deal..

I saved it to my Dropbox...I don't take credit for the original work

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7acw1y4rzuakm7d/G10_HMC.Z2G?dl=0

I build all my models and parts in "real world" space based on the WCS origin...

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, TFarrell9 said:

Offset Calculator Macro.nc 3.21 kB · 2 downloads

I am sorry for stupid question ,but I am new off this .So what I have to do is send the machine to home and read the machine numbers and change in my macro for x and z ?

2 minutes ago, JParis said:

There was a G10 post that someone had shared years ago, though I forget who did it but copy the logic out of that and done deal..

I build all my models and parts in "real world" space based on the WCS origin...

thank you ,let me try 

2 minutes ago, JParis said:

thank you 

1 minute ago, mirek1017 said:

I am sorry for stupid question ,but I am new off this .So what I have to do is send the machine to home and read the machine numbers and change in my macro for x and z ?

Machine center of rotation is going to vary from machine to machine, it may or may not be at home position. For example, one of our horizontals' X center of rotation is zero, otherwise arbitrary numbers. 

Do you know how to check for center of rotation?

Just now, TFarrell9 said:

Machine center of rotation is going to vary from machine to machine, it may or may not be at home position. For example, one of our horizontals' X center of rotation is zero, otherwise arbitrary numbers. 

Do you know how to check for center of rotation?

no ,can you please poiting me 

8 minutes ago, JParis said:

how I can open this file ?

8 minutes ago, mirek1017 said:

no ,can you please poiting me 

how I can open this file ?

There are many ways it can be done, I believe some ways are easier depending on the machine. For some, you could just probe your pallet, which would be the simplest in my opinion.

If you can't probe your pallet/table, use a test bar with a known gauge length (or any true-running extended length holder in the spindle, or your spindle quill on a boring mill) and get your spindle center as close to X center (over the table) as possible. Place a test indicator on the table and touch the side-tangent of your test bar to indicator zero (or spindle quill), clear your X origin on the control. Rotate the B axis 180*, touch the test bar to the indicator zero, split the difference of the relative distance measured on your control and move your X axis to that value. Move your test indicator to the test bar and start the process again. You may need to do this a couple times until you no longer need to move your X axis to get the same reading for B0 and B180. This is your X center of rotation (the machine position readout for the X axis). 

Once you have your X center of rotation, rotate the B axis 90* and touch the end of the test bar to your test indicator zero. This is your Z center or rotation, subtracting the known gauge length of your test bar.

• Like 1
Just now, TFarrell9 said:

There are many ways it can be done, I believe some ways are easier depending on the machine. For some, you could just probe your pallet, which would be the simplest in my opinion.

If you can't probe your pallet/table, use a test bar with a known gauge length (or any true-running extended length holder in the spindle, or your spindle quill on a boring mill) and get your spindle center as close to X center (over the table) as possible. Place a test indicator on the table and touch the side-tangent of your test bar to indicator zero (or spindle quill), clear your X origin on the control. Rotate the B axis 180*, touch the test bar to the indicator zero, split the difference of the relative distance measured on your control and move your X axis to that value. Move your test indicator to the test bar and start the process again. You may need to do this a couple times until you no longer need to move your X axis to get the same reading for B0 and B180. This is your X center of rotation (the machine position readout for the X axis). 

Once you have your X center of rotation, rotate the B axis 90* and touch the end of the test bar to your test indicator zero. This is your Z center or rotation, subtracting the known gauge length of your test bar.

Thank you 

Just now, JParis said:

It needs to be added into your post..

It doesn't matter how big your machine is. All that matters is how you set everything up in the CAM

ok,so for example  my part  (G54)  on machine numbers is 

X-65.1355

Y36.5778

Z2463.95

so at means I should move my part to this cordinate in mastercam ?

image.thumb.png.60e2e13af71dfee1d073e64fe364b3df.png

this is my part 

image.thumb.png.8db79bcdd8f80827555b4185d778d98a.png

32 minutes ago, mirek1017 said:

ok,so for example  my part  (G54)  on machine numbers is 

X-65.1355

Y36.5778

Z2463.95

so at means I should move my part to this cordinate in mastercam ?

image.thumb.png.60e2e13af71dfee1d073e64fe364b3df.png

this is my part 

image.thumb.png.8db79bcdd8f80827555b4185d778d98a.png

Huh you have a machine with 2463.95 inches or millimeters of travel? Earlier you were using inch to define the X and Y travel? Which is it? If that is a metric number then 97 inches little over 8 feet of Z travel is not insane, but 2463.95 inches or 205 feet is a very large machine.

9 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Huh you have a machine with 2463.95 inches or millimeters of travel? Earlier you were using inch to define the X and Y travel? Which is it? If that is a metric number then 97 inches little over 8 feet of Z travel is not insane, but 2463.95 inches or 205 feet is a very large machine.

sorry the  Z is 24.6395

this is all inch 

2 hours ago, JParis said:

I may be wrong, but this only works for known fixture positions, correct? We mostly do one-off large fabs and castings like OP, so the fixture macro I posted has worked great for us. But if things could be further streamlined with even less human input, I'm all for it.

I know little about PST editing, but I was trying to find the COR values for G10 output in the PST file you shared. I thought it would be under pwritbuf9 with "new_x" (for example) or preadbuf9 with "b9_tox" (for example), but when I changed the values and posted from the mcam file you shared, the G10 outputs remained the same.

12 minutes ago, TFarrell9 said:

I may be wrong, but this only works for known fixture positions, correct? We mostly do one-off large fabs and castings like OP, so the fixture macro I posted has worked great for us. But if things could be further streamlined with even less human input, I'm all for it.

I know little about PST editing, but I was trying to find the COR values for G10 output in the PST file you shared. I thought it would be under pwritbuf9 with "new_x" (for example) or preadbuf9 with "b9_tox" (for example), but when I changed the values and posted from the mcam file you shared, the G10 outputs remained the same.

It works..4 parts down a single tombstone face....straight from the post

(G54.1P1 - B90. - PART - )
(X0 CENTER OF LOCATING PIN)
(Y0 CENTER OF LOCATING PIN)
(Z0 TOP OF PART)
G90G10L20P1X0.Y-6.2173Z-19.2175

(G54.1P4 - B90. - PART - )
(Z0 TOP OF PART)
G90G10L20P4X0.Y-11.0973Z-19.2175

(G54.1P7 - B90. - PART - )
(Z0 TOP OF PART)
G90G10L20P7X0.Y-15.9773Z-19.2175

(G54.1P10 - B90. - PART - )
(Z0 TOP OF PART)
G90G10L20P10X0.Y-20.8573Z-19.2175

(TOTAL NUMBER OF OFFSETS 4)

Depending on how the machine was set up the actual machine positions for center of rotation and top of pallet could be #19700, #19701, and #19702 in a FANUC 30i/31i  Series Control.

To access them by MACRO variable is pretty simple;

#900=PRM[19700]
#901=PRM[19701]
#902=PRM[19702]

X, Y, and Z could then be in MACRO variables #900-#902. They will be in mm units so you'll have to convert them if you need inch units. You could do it like this;

#900=[PRM[19700]/25.4]
#901=[PRM[19701]/25.4]
#902=[PRM[19702]/25.4]

or like this;

#900=PRM[19700]
#901=PRM[19701]
#902=PRM[19702]

#900=[#900/25.4]
#901=[#901/25.4]
#902=[#902/25.4]

Lots of options.

• Like 1