Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

One Toolpath won't transform

JB7280

7 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

I've used a bunch of transforms in a part I'm currently working on.  All worked fine, except one model chamfer toolpath, I get this message.  I can upload a file if necessary, but it's a pretty large file.  

643075695_Screenshot2023-04-13115406.png.cb90e0050b5a3caacdd314c0e3a3daf0.png

Yes will transform the operation directly, I get the same message if i try to tranform a chook/custom operation

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, byte said:

Yes will transform the operation directly, I get the same message if i try to tranform a chook/custom operation

Clicking Yes gave me weird results.  After I clicked Yes 10 times, it said toolpath regen failed, then gave me correct toolpath.  Was the failure because of the type of geometry used to drive the toolpath?

46 minutes ago, JB7280 said:

Clicking Yes gave me weird results.  After I clicked Yes 10 times, it said toolpath regen failed, then gave me correct toolpath.  Was the failure because of the type of geometry used to drive the toolpath?

I believe it warns that it cant move the geometry for each instance of transform,

I had the same result as you did,

i tried transforming a solid face chained to surface finish flowline, and it ignored the error message and did not copy the solid only the nci, so it appears there is an issue with transforming solid geometry

Setting it to NCI as previously suggested fixes the error message

Transforming by Geometry has the potential to create issues including circular dependencies, because you're transforming the geometry, then reapplying/recalculating the toolpath from scratch on the transformed geometry. So, it may recalculate against things like stock that are in the original location, but the geometry has shifted to a new location, etc etc as an example. Transforming by NCI is simply applying a transformation to the point cloud that is the calculated toolpath, and is fairly bulletproof. Unless you have a specific reason to transform by geometry, stick with NCI transform.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chally72 said:

Transforming by Geometry has the potential to create issues including circular dependencies, because you're transforming the geometry, then reapplying/recalculating the toolpath from scratch on the transformed geometry. So, it may recalculate against things like stock that are in the original location, but the geometry has shifted to a new location, etc etc as an example. Transforming by NCI is simply applying a transformation to the point cloud that is the calculated toolpath, and is fairly bulletproof. Unless you have a specific reason to transform by geometry, stick with NCI transform.

Thanks Dylan, 

I think there is something very wrong with model chamfer, it works fine but there is a pop up for each instance, must be a bug no?

I'm guessing solids are converted to surfaces by toolpath transform, then when the surfaces are passed in to model chamfer, an error occurs as the operation needs a solid

1 hour ago, JB7280 said:

I retract my statement about chookops, the issue is indeed solids,

I used surface and wire geometry and it tranformed fine

image.thumb.png.8cd19bad17ee8fa4d7ad2474774c9df6.png

1 hour ago, Chally72 said:

This has bitten me with C-axis programming, NCI transform did/does not post out the c-axis angle changes whereas geometry transform does.

Thank you for the great explanation.  Sometimes, in a hurry, I'll fix the problem without knowing why it fixed it.  This was a big help, and I also learned to use NCI whenever possible.  I should have also noted when I first replied that the suggest from @#Rekd™ fixed it.  I left that out of my first reply.  

Unrelated, but @byte, whats up with the cube down there by your gnomon?  I've never seen that.  

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, JB7280 said:

Thank you for the great explanation.  Sometimes, in a hurry, I'll fix the problem without knowing why it fixed it.  This was a big help, and I also learned to use NCI whenever possible.  I should have also noted when I first replied that the suggest from @#Rekd™ fixed it.  I left that out of my first reply.  

Unrelated, but @byte, whats up with the cube down there by your gnomon?  I've never seen that.  

4 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

It's a new thing in 2024

yes, new in 2024, I quite like it, the pocketnc simulator has a similar widget since forever, its nice to see it in MC,