Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Countersinks

TERRYH

20 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Good methods, #Rekd, but you missed the easiest one :)

If you're making the holes in Mastercam, use the Solid Holes function to create them as Countersink holes:

image.png.fbcb264e5ea50c1494edb85724bee683.png

will this work if I already have the file like the picture I showed. or would I have to start over in creating them ? I could not get the other way Rekd suggested to work gave me an error.

2 hours ago, TERRYH said:

will this work if I already have the file like the picture I showed. or would I have to start over in creating them ? I could not get the other way Rekd suggested to work gave me an error.

If you have a dumb solid as pictured, you'll have to make them into "Holes" (they're currently just extrusions).  Use Model Prep > Add History.

For example, here's something I'm playing with:

image.png.3cdc3e58ed89fec7ca1a436a42622cec.png

Notice how the solid body ("Fillet11" just has a Body attached).

If you use Add History to find holes:

image.png.517c3827fd7deb3c6f3415a5444ffa8b.png

It'll make them into solid holes that can be edited by double clicking on them in the solids tree:

image.png.3113e65a54a746bd37b401581fbd304f.png

2024 Note -  These are now under "find holes" not "add history."  Add History in 2024 will add these as an extrusion and you'll be right back where you started!

image.png.807cf699d9544371e195722c1b90f94a.png

• Like 3
On 5/2/2023 at 10:48 AM, #Rekd™ said:

The other option to model them is to download a flat head screw solid model from McMaster-Carr and do a Boolean remove with the screw in the proper placement.

How do you model the runout in the head of the screw?? :sarcasm:  seriously though, Flathead screws vary so much it tough to say what the head height really is going to be. The book sizes I have seen vary almost as much as the actual screws do.

5 minutes ago, cruzila said:

How do you model the runout in the head of the screw?? :sarcasm:  seriously though, Flathead screws vary so much it tough to say what the head height really is going to be. The book sizes I have seen vary almost as much as the actual screws do.

Normally when in doubt I make an operation to test one hole in the program. They can tune it in for that one hole and then off to the races. I will put a Manual entry telling them to adjust the tool with plus tool length offset to work it in. If it is a loosy goosy tolerance then program to nominal and call it a day. I  have had +/-.001 diameter on Countersink diameters on parts before.

• Like 1