Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reorder Planes ?

MrFish

1 hour ago, TFarrell9 said:

Do you have any videos on how to model this?

I don't have a video at the moment. I used surfaces for the blades and converted them to solids.  I made the center of the impeller from a revolved solid. Then I did a transform rotate of the blades (I made 1 full blade and 1 splitter bladed). Then I use Boolean to join them. Then added the fillets. 

I might have had to do a revolved trim on the outside of the blades. The blades have to stick into the center solid to be able to fillet them properly. With having the Model Prep tools it is easy to extend items.

One Solids tool that is really powerful in Mastercam is "Trim by plane" (drop down) "Trim to surface/sheet", most people have never used this. It allows you to cut a solid body to match a complex surface. The surface has to extend past the solid on all sides.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

I don't have a video at the moment. I used surfaces for the blades and converted them to solids.  I made the center of the impeller from a revolved solid. Then I did a transform rotate of the blades (I made 1 full blade and 1 splitter bladed). Then I use Boolean to join them. Then added the fillets. 

I might have had to do a revolved trim on the outside of the blades. The blades have to stick into the center solid to be able to fillet them properly. With having the Model Prep tools it is easy to extend items.

One Solids tool that is really powerful in Mastercam is "Trim by plane" (drop down) "Trim to surface/sheet", most people have never used this. It allows you to cut a solid body to match a complex surface. The surface has to extend past the solid on all sides.

Another way to make blades is to create upper & lower profiles and loft a solid.

PLAY.zip

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Converting from surface to solid creates a sheet solid, correct? Then you were able to use "thicken"? I've tried using that in the past a couple of times and have had issues with it, as in it won't allow me to use thicken, depending on the shape of the sheet solid.

2 hours ago, TFarrell9 said:

Do you have any videos on how to model this? I'd really like to learn how to create a dynamic solid like an impeller blade. I wasn't even sure it was possible in mastercam.

Do you have Linkedin profile?

If so look for Adriaan T. he has plenty of videos there about creating good stuff in MC,

50 minutes ago, TFarrell9 said:

I hadn't thought about using loft that way. How did you chain it to achieve a single "face"? When I use those chains, I'm getting facets from then endpoints of the wireframe.

I just, click on loft in solids and using 3D chain, select both chains, in the same direction.

5 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

I just, click on loft in solids and using 3D chain, select both chains, in the same direction.

I don't have 22 installed, so I'm not sure if you can see this file, but I chained it the same way and I get facets. I saved the solid you created on level 2 and the one I created on level 1.

PLAY 1.mcam

1 hour ago, OVodov said:

Do you have Linkedin profile?

If so look for Adriaan T. he has plenty of videos there about creating good stuff in MC,

I couldn't find anyone that seemed to match.

12 minutes ago, TFarrell9 said:

I don't have 22 installed, so I'm not sure if you can see this file, but I chained it the same way and I get facets. I saved the solid you created on level 2 and the one I created on level 1.

PLAY 1.mcam 356.06 kB · 0 downloads

What version is this from? 2023 says it's from a newer version so it can't open it.

10 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

What version is this from? 2023 says it's from a newer version so it can't open it.

That was 24, here's one saved in 23.

PLAY 2.mcam

7 minutes ago, OVodov said:

Oh interesting, we've done some work for the company he works for. I had no clue they were global. Thanks for sharing because I couldn't find him either. 

10 minutes ago, So not a Guru said:

This may be a setting in your configuration. When I select it just as I described above, I get no faceting. I've run out over room on the forum, so I'll have to clear some space up Monday.

I'll look into it. I used to think it was something I could fix with simplify solid, but it doesn't work. 

• 2 weeks later...