Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is 2024 working well or should we stick with 2023?

amw

I installed 2024 and messed with it for a bit...won't be using it until my customers upgrade to it though.

But from what I am seeing I like it.

2024 opens files faster than 2023.  I did find some bugs in 2023 that were carried over into 2024.

But those had to do with copy/paste/merge and I could do things in a different way.

I think Mastercam has come a long way, my first copy was the black CD---Ver 6.

I use it for everything now.  For me it is a complete CAM-CAM system.

Not sure exactly what everyone's issue is with the fixture/stock...I guess I will find out once I start using it more.

Not saying it's perfect, don't think any software is...but it works for me.

Personally I would never in a million years uninstall my previous copy of Mastercam.

I actually have every Version back to 2019 installed on this box... But that is only because I haven't had to

do a wipe...If I did I would only go back to 2022.  That one was rock solid for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4
On 7/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, volitan71 said:

I'm totally ignorant about this process.

Are you saying you toolpath in Mastercam and then use another software to post it?

Yes. I program in several CAM systems but Mastercam is what is primarily used as it is what the largest percentage of our machine user base uses, then I use a software called CAMplete TruePath for Post Processing. It does Post Processing, Simulation and Collision Checking of G-Code as well as a host of other features.

• Like 1
On 7/10/2023 at 7:25 AM, TacoMachinist said:

Did you get CAMplete 2024 plugin to install correctly?

I did find some issues that required me to figure out a workaround.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8nxh4qkz5xprb7/Mastercam 2024 to CAMplete TruePath Plug-In.zip?dl=0

Close Mastercan. Download and Open this ZipFile linked above and extract the contents to your C:\Program Files\Mastercam 2024\chooks\ folder. Then it will work.

In the spirit of "Teach a man to fish", when you download the CAMplete 2024 Installer, if you've accepted the default paths, you can go to "C:\Autodesk\CAMplete_TruePath_2024_2024_1_0_2882_Win_64Bit_dlm\x64\Plugins\Mastercam\Mastercam 2024" and there's a "CAMplete Mastercam 2024 Plugin (2024.94).msi" file in there. I opened that in WinRar and extracted them to the correct location. Thanks for reminding me, I need to send that into CAMplete QC for analysis.

Hope this helps.

On 7/10/2023 at 1:54 PM, TacoMachinist said:

" I uninstalled and reinstalled everything before I opened a ticket."
"Ok, can you uninstall and reinstall again?"

Sounds like one particular "support" tech. :coffee:

My condolences on that experience. DM me if you have any other issues like that and I'll see if I can get you squared away.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Well, I've started the process of us moving up to 2024. As I said in another thread, I no longer wait until the 3rd update because of the stupid bugs in 2020/2021 which kept us from moving up at all those years because when we found them it was too late to send them in to get fixed as CNC Software had already moved on to the following year's version. So now I try to move up after the 1st update and I and our other mastercam guys poke around for a week or two looking for stupid bugs before we move ahead and actually use it.

So far, and we haven't moved up fully, but things seem mostly positive. Here are my impressions so far:

1) they turned migrating/updating our Varco Reports into a nightmare. My IT lady had to manually do it, with multiple phone calls and goto meetings with Jim, but we finally got it working.

2) It looks like, hopefully, maybe, they fixed a d@mn annoying Transform--Project bug I reported back in 2022, got it logged, and they made it worse in 2023. My preliminary test gave me hope because that bug's been a real headache for me: it's something I use a lot. Edit: nope, sigh. I grabbed one of my big parts and the bug is still there, sigh. Maybe it's not quite as bad, hopefully (fingers crossed), but Transform--Project, when I project a curve I have verified it's closed, is still leaving gaps in the projected curve. Guess, I'll try to get it to my reseller, again...

3) still not quite sure how to navigate the changes in the stock model setup. Like Murlin(?) I use a solid and then bring in my stl's I create from Verify as I update my stock model rather than tie it to my toolpaths. That way my toolpaths don't go dirty if I make any minor changes like one of my coworkers. But, anyway, the stock model changes don't seem to be a deal breaker yet, hopefully.

4) Machine Simulation on which I heavily rely seems to work fine except they turned off the collision warning button. Last version it was forced on. It's not a big deal but I warned my coworkers about it. Verify also seems fine.

5) Overall it seems a little faster saving stuff, but I won't know for sure until I get to some of my bigger parts. My coworkers and I will probably spend next week still poking around, and as long as we don't find any deal breakers, we'll move up after that.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Anyone having an issue with 2024 just adding random tools when making toolpaths?

In previous versions if I only had 1 tool in my tool list it would just default to that tool. but now its just adding a random tool that I don't know the source of?

For example: I was just starting roughing and only had a 1/2 endmill with a 1" flute length (the only 1/2 endmill in my library). Next operation and skip the tool page since there's only 1 tool and it added a 1/2 endmill with a .5" flute length. this tool doesn't exist in any of my libraries  so I have no idea where it came from..

• Huh? 1
58 minutes ago, TacoMachinist said:

Anyone having an issue with 2024 just adding random tools when making toolpaths?

In previous versions if I only had 1 tool in my tool list it would just default to that tool. but now its just adding a random tool that I don't know the source of?

For example: I was just starting roughing and only had a 1/2 endmill with a 1" flute length (the only 1/2 endmill in my library). Next operation and skip the tool page since there's only 1 tool and it added a 1/2 endmill with a .5" flute length. this tool doesn't exist in any of my libraries  so I have no idea where it came from..

That would annoy me as well.

I'm not on 2024 yet but in 2023 a 1/2" EM with 1/2" flute length is the default tool MC creates if there are no tools in your library and you regenerate a toolpath.

18 minutes ago, Jake L said:

That would annoy me as well.

I'm not on 2024 yet but in 2023 a 1/2" EM with 1/2" flute length is the default tool MC creates if there are no tools in your library and you regenerate a toolpath.

yeah its getting pretty annoying quick lol. Usually would use whatever I used last now I have to constantly delete random mastercam default tools that get added.. 

Hoping someone will chime in and tell me its just a setting I missed.

19 minutes ago, TacoMachinist said:

I'm going to say it's your operation defaults choosing "some tool". Before I set mine up to reference my tool library, contour 2d would default to tool 257 or something, etc. https://www.inhousesolutions.com/resource/changing-toolpath-parameter-defaults/

In there is where you can set all your defaults for each type of operation. Included a screenshot of what it looks like in 2024.

You will need to do this for each *.mcam-defaults file that your machine definitions point to.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 163657.jpg

7 minutes ago, TacoMachinist said:

yeah its getting pretty annoying quick lol. Usually would use whatever I used last now I have to constantly delete random mastercam default tools that get added.. 

One of the first things I do when working on a new project is I go to my tool library and pull all my tools in , then as I program a feature I select the desired tool for the operation. The only time I see "random tools" get created is when I don't select a tool for the operation.

I think a minor workflow adjustment could remove that annoyance.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, TacoMachinist said:

I just tried to reproduce this but couldn't. Now, if your next op is something that can't use the one tool you inserted into your library (like a bull tool for model chamfer) the tool from the .mcam-defaults file for that operation would be pulled in instead. The tools you're seeing pulled in are likely all the default tools for those ops in the .mcam-defaults files.

Checked the defaults and there was a bunch of random tools. Tried deleting them all except one but still just populating random tools with the same diameter and tool number that aren't in my library if I don't select a tool before closing the operation. 

Not really a big deal I guess ill just have to make sure I select the tool every single time.

*edit. The only time previous versions would auto populate random tools was if I didn't select a tool for the first operation.
Every operation after would usually just use whatever tool I selected last or use a tool I already used in a different operation but never just add a random one.

I also have get defaults from previous operation turned on.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 073823.jpg

• Like 1

I have been using 2024 to program parts sense PB-3 and have to say it has been stable and have had no issues. Programed Lathe and Mil 2 to 4th axis programs. 

As for the random tools, never have had that issue. It has to be the order that you are doing things based on the type of operation.
Now a thought is follow the operation tree from top down seems to be pretty bullet proof. JMHO

only once in a great while to I have a students per say they get a random tool. this is usually because something they are doing.
I like to call issue between the chair and the keyboard. lol

• Like 1