Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Waterline makes too many retracts

BliggeFar

Hey there,

I'm working on these radius with the waterline feature. But i consistently run into a problem with mastercam wanting to do retracts on the first engagement. 

I have been trying to figure out what might be causing this, but have not yet found a solution to the problem. i have been playing with different settings, but without much luck.

Maybe one of you guys have a suggestion to solve my issue :)image.thumb.jpeg.4b40da57c365cee47c4bbfc22ddec2c2.jpeg

Try playing with these settings

Projected boundary smoothing can frequently fix retracts at the boundary of the toolpath

Another trick is to use the comp settings to make the tool run a couple of thou" inside your boundary.

You'll never notice it on the part, but it will often force the tool to stay down.

toolpathc control.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, amw said:

Most of the retracts are right at the top. Usually you can fix this by apply depth limits. Just set the minimum depth to be a thou or 2 deep, then all the mess at the top is gone. 

This is a great trick in Opti rough too.   Many times we use Opti on a second op/flip of the part to take off the rest of the material.   By doing this you eliminate the need of babysitting the slug.   The tool will finish on a surface instead of having it out in space making a slug problem.  

• Like 2