Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Partially open pocket / island facing

Kendo

I got an open pocket to work with 2D dynamic mill and using containment / avoidance areas

Now need to figure out the rest milling / machining from the stock

Seems like programming to the 3D model instead of 2D geo, Mcam would be able to figure out the stock without containment / avoidance

Maybe I'll figure that out next... I'll poke at it some more

image.png.b13fdb211c2f0b702e70346d43527584.png

I'd say this is textbook OptiRough. Or 3+2 Roughing if you've got it, great candiate for a 5ax

You'll need to feed it some machining faces, avoidance faces and then containment if you don't get what you're after. And play with your Z depths to not go too deep or too high and waste time.

Learning to leverage that toolpath is a game changer: for this part you should be able to ruff out the top of that steeple and the gallery below with one or two optirough paths. Two only if you don't like what you're getting with 1.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
34 minutes ago, SuperHoneyBadger said:

I'd say this is textbook OptiRough. Or 3+2 Roughing if you've got it, great candiate for a 5ax

You'll need to feed it some machining faces, avoidance faces and then containment if you don't get what you're after. And play with your Z depths to not go too deep or too high and waste time.

Learning to leverage that toolpath is a game changer: for this part you should be able to ruff out the top of that steeple and the gallery below with one or two optirough paths. Two only if you don't like what you're getting with 1.

Absolutely.  The 2d toolpaths are not stock aware, so you'll need to create wireframe that represents your stock if you want to use them manually program that in.  That's why this is 100% Opti.

• Like 3

I'm also pretty certain that setting step up as the same as your step down will make it so it only machines all the flat areas on that plane.

It seems odd that that is how you sometimes have to do it. It might nice if they had a "Critical Depths" option similar to 3D Waterline. I remember when I first started using optirough and having a hard time getting it to machine all the flats I wanted.

• Like 1