Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unified Curve Parallel Help! MC2024

tornero32

I'm using Unified Curve, Parallel toolpath to finish the radius at the bottom of a pocket. My tool is almost the same radius as the corner radius on the part.

The step over is fine until the tool gets to the corner it gives me a very tight step over. Could please show me how to get rid of the tightness.

I tried advance options for surface Quality, Step over calculation. Nothing helps.

The reason I'm using Curve parallel is because it lets me extend outside the curve and clean the corners.

I do not know if it does that because the surface is not parallel to the curve. any help would be appreciated.

image.thumb.jpeg.11f9981acb547c1ba07e19cc23388af6.jpegath to finish the radius at the 

Part2.MCAM-CONTENT

Thank you, Aaron, for your quick response and the advice I really appreciate.

straight forward explanation and it really works better on the corners, the C axis is not rotating like crazy, and the finish is great.  Tool axis control makes a big difference.

I still struggle a lot with tool axis control and collision control. I was using Curve parallel because it gives me the option to extent to the side of the curve.

image.jpeg.d84aaa41e16524be8a2a298177878d1e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bc6548a6ff5336633fe89fad665ed7e8.jpeg

Curve parallel gives me that option. i was trying to machine the material on the corner from previous operation.

image.jpeg.1254ba7e3317858c36c7a5693ac04d85.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.736f242ee8ea87579ad326a065c84376.jpeg

Curve guide doesn't give me that option, I guess it has different options, and I will try to check those options.

image.jpeg.e09ae03f9053b62888edb06e25ddf001.jpeg

Ah, sorry, I missed that the side extension was essential.

It's definitely not as easy as the surface-based toolpaths to do it with the geodesic engine, and you don't have a Top/Bottom extension, you can only do a blanket extension.  It's not too hard, but you need a bit of background knowledge to really leverage it.  Skip the next paragraph if you don't care about the mechanics of it :)

One important note is that I'd recommend using this with a single Guide chain (Parallel equivalent), as having two that it's trying to Morph between can get a little weird sometimes. 

Geodesic engines are based on the mesh (they create a mesh in the background from your selected surfaces at whatever tolerance you specify).  The edges of the mesh are considered a constraint that it has to stay within, using whatever pattern you wanted it to fit.  So, you have two problems to solve:

* One is that your mesh (the fillet) doesn't extend at all

* Two is that your containment is based on the original mesh.  

To solve the first problem, use Cut parameters > Machining Geometry Advanced Params > Extend Mesh: image.png.ceb382ac467bc231cb7ff93e858eab0c.png

You can preview the toolpath, but nothing will change at this point (other than taking longer to generate!):

image.png.639b85f70d7fc7a7111a64cc76597ec5.png

But, in the background, the mesh has been extended on all sides.

So, to solve Problem Two, can be solved using Cut Pattern > Containment, and allowing the tool to go outside the containment:

image.png.a2fd542c6781f881421c3db153aace54.png

Other than that, I think you'd probably have to create the geometry you want to.  

• Thanks 3
  • Like 6
5 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

Ah, sorry, I missed that the side extension was essential.

It's definitely not as easy as the surface-based toolpaths to do it with the geodesic engine, and you don't have a Top/Bottom extension, you can only do a blanket extension.  It's not too hard, but you need a bit of background knowledge to really leverage it.  Skip the next paragraph if you don't care about the mechanics of it :)

One important note is that I'd recommend using this with a single Guide chain (Parallel equivalent), as having two that it's trying to Morph between can get a little weird sometimes. 

Geodesic engines are based on the mesh (they create a mesh in the background from your selected surfaces at whatever tolerance you specify).  The edges of the mesh are considered a constraint that it has to stay within, using whatever pattern you wanted it to fit.  So, you have two problems to solve:

* One is that your mesh (the fillet) doesn't extend at all

* Two is that your containment is based on the original mesh.  

To solve the first problem, use Cut parameters > Machining Geometry Advanced Params > Extend Mesh: image.png.ceb382ac467bc231cb7ff93e858eab0c.png

You can preview the toolpath, but nothing will change at this point (other than taking longer to generate!):

image.png.639b85f70d7fc7a7111a64cc76597ec5.png

But, in the background, the mesh has been extended on all sides.

So, to solve Problem Two, can be solved using Cut Pattern > Containment, and allowing the tool to go outside the containment:

image.png.a2fd542c6781f881421c3db153aace54.png

Other than that, I think you'd probably have to create the geometry you want to.  

Hi Aaron

While your doing an excellent job of educating us on the intricacies of how the processing engines actually handle these tool paths , can you explain why the tool path in your picture above now looks a bit janky in the corner compared to the un-extended one ?

I don't have Aaron's file, but I'd guess that the "jankiness" is the tilt being applied to the tool/holder to avoid the walls as the tool pivots through the corner. Remember that when you're looking at the blue lines, you're looking at the tip position of the tool, and NOT the actual contact point of the tool flute to the surface. The Collision control method may be modifying the tilt, which will pivot the tool about the center of the ball, not about the tip, and it'll swing the blue lines up and over and make them appear uneven.

If you plotted out the actual contact point (or had a way to view it, which you do in Simulator in 2024 and will in Advanced Toolpath Display in 2025), you'd see perfectly crisp stepovers still. And the examples farther up the thread were in some cases looking at the pattern before collision control was applied, meaning the blue tip still represents the true stepover at this stage.

If you've ever calculated a toolpath using an accelerated finishing tool, this disparity between where the blue lines fall and what the tool is actually doing is even greater, since the tool effective radius centerpoint does not fall along the tool centerline, and small changes in tool flute contact can create major disparities in pass to pass tip position visuals. The "gut check" we get by looking at the blue lines for uniformity becomes less and less valuable as a measure of the quality of the path.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

I don't have Aaron's file, but I'd guess that the "jankiness" is the tilt being applied to the tool/holder to avoid the walls as the tool pivots through the corner. Remember that when you're looking at the blue lines, you're looking at the tip position of the tool, and NOT the actual contact point of the tool flute to the surface. The Collision control method may be modifying the tilt, which will pivot the tool about the center of the ball, not about the tip, and it'll swing the blue lines up and over and make them appear uneven.

If you plotted out the actual contact point (or had a way to view it, which you do in Simulator in 2024 and will in Advanced Toolpath Display in 2025), you'd see perfectly crisp stepovers still. And the examples farther up the thread were in some cases looking at the pattern before collision control was applied, meaning the blue tip still represents the true stepover at this stage.

If you've ever calculated a toolpath using an accelerated finishing tool, this disparity between where the blue lines fall and what the tool is actually doing is even greater, since the tool effective radius centerpoint does not fall along the tool centerline, and small changes in tool flute contact can create major disparities in pass to pass tip position visuals. The "gut check" we get by looking at the blue lines for uniformity becomes less and less valuable as a measure of the quality of the path.

Thanks Dylan, love learning the intricacies of these tool paths, gives me a far better understanding of what/why I am seeing something in my tool path. I'm a bit old school and like to check the look of the "toolpath" for an idea of potential finish (vs verify), especially in 3d surfacing operations.  Advanced Toolpath Display in 2025 sounds like it will have some nice additions for this.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, MrFish said:

Thanks Dylan, love learning the intricacies of these tool paths, gives me a far better understanding of what/why I am seeing something in my tool path. I'm a bit old school and like to check the look of the "toolpath" for an idea of potential finish (vs verify), especially in 3d surfacing operations.  Advanced Toolpath Display in 2025 sounds like it will have some nice additions for this.

Yeah, Dylan is on the right track there, and the closer the radius is to the tool radius, the more jankiness you're going to encounter, as any minor changes to the tilt will cause the center/tip of the tool (where the blue backplot lines are showing) to visually look worse.

I'm very excited about displaying the contact point in backplot, and I've been enjoying it in Simulator.   For the screenshots above, here's what the contact points look like vs. the backplot:

image.png.7dc1bef41af960c37a0478ad78f3c42c.png

I could easily do an entire 5 day class just on just Unified/Swarf/Pocket.  I've done a few 3 day classes focused on just Unified and digging into this stuff, and it's always so well received.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Chally72 said:

If you plotted out the actual contact point (or had a way to view it, which you do in Simulator in 2024 and will in Advanced Toolpath Display in 2025)

I had no idea contact point could be plotted out as aaron just kindly demonstrated, that is so exciting it will be added to ATD in '25. I feel like a kid in a candy store lol

• Like 1

Here's my favorite little example of this- a simple 3 axis path with a ball tool traversing across a variable fillet where a blend or morph might be used. If I was looking at this like I usually do, I'd see those blue lines and I might as a programmer instinctually say "This path is no good, I have to go fix this or play around with parameters here."

But, if I'm looking at the green in the image below, (actual tool contact point,) I'm getting a very different perception of the path....IE, leave it alone, it was fine to begin with!

823586760_Contactpoint2.thumb.png.a9fc5e49aadbe460feb9e89d031a4949.png

• Like 3