Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using ribbon hotkeys makes MC sluggish

cbarton

Whenever I'm doing a lot of modelling or wire manipulation with ribbon hotkeys (For example alt+w+e for line endpoint or alt+t+x for dyanamic transform, etc) Mastercam gets less and less responsive over time. Eventually it gets so slow (Alt -> G4 U1. -> W -> G4 U1. -> E -> G4 U1. -> Line endpoints dialogue appears) that I have to restart it to get it back to being snappy(-ish, heh). I've personally experienced this on three completely different computers (two programming machines at different companies, and my personal machine with HLE at home). My co-worker runs into this issue as well. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix? I haven't been able to find anything searching around online/on the forums. It's by far my biggest frustration with using this software and it's kind of driving my nuts.

Thanks,

17 hours ago, gcode said:

If you are not using the Ribbon Access Keys, turn them off

If you are using them... ???

I use them constantly. Way faster than clicking. 

??? is basically my conclusion. Is there a way to contact CNC software directly? Because I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. 

On 10/3/2023 at 5:16 PM, cbarton said:

Whenever I'm doing a lot of modelling or wire manipulation with ribbon hotkeys (For example alt+w+e for line endpoint or alt+t+x for dyanamic transform, etc) Mastercam gets less and less responsive over time. Eventually it gets so slow (Alt -> G4 U1. -> W -> G4 U1. -> E -> G4 U1. -> Line endpoints dialogue appears) that I have to restart it to get it back to being snappy(-ish, heh). I've personally experienced this on three completely different computers (two programming machines at different companies, and my personal machine with HLE at home). My co-worker runs into this issue as well. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix? I haven't been able to find anything searching around online/on the forums. It's by far my biggest frustration with using this software and it's kind of driving my nuts.

Thanks,

I think it's a systemic issue with the software. I don't use hotkeys, but when I'm doing a lot of geometry creation to prep a model for machining, I notice the same thing. Sometimes it gets so bad, Mastercam will barely move. Close and restart it and it's back to what is normal for it...My co-worker literally just told me this morning he's struggling with the same issue down on his computer when he was simply using analyze contour to find gaps in the curve he had to use for a check fixture he's working on...

2 hours ago, sharles said:

I think it's a systemic issue with the software. I don't use hotkeys, but when I'm doing a lot of geometry creation to prep a model for machining, I notice the same thing. Sometimes it gets so bad, Mastercam will barely move

BY default, System Config is set with no limits on the number of Undo events it stores or the file size of the undo cache.

If you are creating a lot of geometry, the number of events and the undo cache can chew up a lot of RAM and buffer file space.

Back in the early X days I used to get a lot of crashes when  working on some types of files.

Setting undo limits stopped these crashes. 

Now days my computers are more powerful and the software and OS are much better.

I don't have these crashes and I've gotten lazy about setting limits. 

Try setting some limits here and see if it helps

undo limits.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, gcode said:

BY default, System Config is set with no limits on the number of Undo events it stores or the file size of the undo cache.

If you are creating a lot of geometry, the number of events and the undo cache can chew up a lot of RAM and buffer file space.

Back in the early X days I used to get a lot of crashes when  working of some types of files.

Setting limits helped. 

Now days my computers are more powerful and the software and OD is much better.

undo limits.jpg

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 10:36 AM, gcode said:

Back in the early X days I used to get a lot of crashes when  working on some types of files.

Now days my computers are more powerful and the software and OS are much better.

undo limits.jpg

Oh, interesting! I'll give this a shot.

On 10/5/2023 at 10:36 AM, gcode said:

undo limits.jpg

I use the standard limits on Undo. I have seen major gains in stability of Mastercam by limiting undo events.

• 4 weeks later...

Still having serious issues with this. I'm getting stock sizes for a handful of simple-ish parts just now and the responsiveness gets insanely sluggish after just a few minutes. I've had to restart mastercam 4 times in the last couple hours.

Literally nothing but using hotkeys slows it down. Last month I was working on some wheels for a car and it ended up being a 750MB file. No problems whatsoever until I had to draw some geo/use hotkeys. This is nuts. 

I'm going to shoot an e-mail to Mastercam I guess.

Edit: Didn't use the same account as last time (I guess I have an account for work that I can't access right now) but this is the OP in case anyone is wondering.