Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool Check in Middle of Toolpath

Jake L

I seem to remember reading something about this but can't remember the specifics. 

I have a 2D Dynamic toolpath running for over an hour, every 15 minutes I'd like to stop the machine to clear chips and check the tool, then reenter the cut where I left off. The only way I can think to do this is chop up my dynamic mill op into 4 separate ops and force tool change each op. Is there a way to do this automatically so I don't need to create multiple ops and new wireframe for each?

My post is a slightly modified MPFAN. MC2023

THe plinout section is almost all modern posts has a sketched portion to do just that

plinout         #Output to NC of linear movement - feed
      if sub_is_active & absinc$ = 0, result = force(xabs, yabs)
      pcan1, pbld, n$, sgfeed, sgplane, `sgcode, sgabsinc, pccdia,
        pxout, pyout, pzout, pcout, [if motst$, feed], strcantext, pscool, e$
      if rpd_typ$ = 7, ptool_insp #Tool Inspection Point

the if rpd_typ7$ is the trigger line that sends it to this section

ptool_insp   #Tool Inspection Point Customization Required
      #Modify following line to customize tool inspection points
      pcool_off #Coolant off before tool inspection
      sav_absinc = absinc$
      absinc$ = one
      pbld, n$, sm05, e$ #Spindle off
      pbld, n$, sm00,"(CAUTION POST GENERATING MOTION FOR TOOL INSPECTION)", e$
      pbld, n$, *sgabsinc, *sg28ref, "Z0.", scoolant, e$
      pbld, n$, *sg28ref, "X0.", "Y0.", e$
      pbld, n$, sm00, "(INSPECT TOOL)", e$
      absinc$ = sav_absinc
      pbld, n$, *sgcode, *sgabsinc, pwcs, *xabs, *yabs, *speed, *spindle, pgear, e$
      pinsp_cool_on #Coolant on after tool inspection
      pbld, n$, sg43, *tlngno$, *zabs, scoolant, e$

You can edit that as needed to get what you need.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, AHarrison1 said:

I am humbled, however I am no where near the level of quite a few people on here.

Absolutely....I hold  my own and I am happy with that....I read some of the stuff others posts and it makes me realize that there is still so much to can be learned.

• Like 1

Follow up question, is there any tricks to force the tool to exit the cut periodically? 

The tool inspection is awesome but my tool is in the cut for the first 90% of the toolpath. As soon as it comes out of the cut to loop back around it retracts for a tool inspect, but by then it's been in the cut for 50min of the 60min total.

I think I may be trying to find that elusive easy button here.

My first thought was to use two separate dynamic mill ops. Both would create a retract after every pass allowing the tool inspect to happen at any of these retracts. The biggest thing I don't like is exiting and entering the cut every single cut, I'd rather do it every 5 or 10 passes than every one. Please see dropbox pictures

Dropbox Dynamic Motion Pics

6 minutes ago, Jake L said:

Follow up question, is there any tricks to force the tool to exit the cut periodically?

It will look for points that are good break points for the reposition and tool inspection point. It may be a little longer, it may be a little shorter based on when the tool next repositions...

It will just take some time to get used to what it and when it triggers...you can try time or distance and see which you find to be the most consistent for you

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, gcode said:

Depending on it's age and origin, your post may need some work to support tool inspection.

Probossibly this!

I would also look to do a forced toolchange if you're in knarly mtl....purely from the point that you can then change inserts/tool, set tool length, move the table or head and even go get a coffee :lol: etc, and then when you hit the green button re-position and importantly height offset etc is all correctly recalled.

Toolinspection can be fine, but if reset is hit (depending upon the specific machine parameter configuration) it can be a real bad 10 seconds if G43H isn't called....

1 minute ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Probossibly this!

I would also look to do a forced toolchange if you're in knarly mtl....purely from the point that you can then change inserts/tool, set tool length, move the table or head and even go get a coffee :lol: etc, and then when you hit the green button re-position and importantly height offset etc is all correctly recalled.

Toolinspection can be fine, but if reset is hit (depending upon the specific machine parameter configuration) it can be a real bad 10 seconds if G43H isn't called....

A properly edited post will handle calling up the work offset, tool length offset and spindle speed

You can also hard code a parking spot so the operator can check and change the inserts conveniently..

On production jobs, I'll use two identical tools with identical gage lengths.

Then the operator just changes the tool and hits go

• Like 1
Just now, gcode said:

A properly edited post will handle calling up the work offset, tool length offset and spindle speed

You can also hard code a parking spot so the operator can check and change the inserts conveniently..

On production jobs, I'll use two identical tools with identical gage lengths.

Then the operator just changes the tool and hits go

Yes - mine did as you say after much modification but original post didn't - just retracted and stopped spindle and then press go and away it went.

Very dangerous and hence me saying probossibly!

30 minutes ago, gcode said:

Depending on it's age and origin, your post may need some work to support tool inspection.

3 hours ago, JParis said:

THe plinout section is almost all modern posts has a sketched portion to do just that

plinout         #Output to NC of linear movement - feed
      if sub_is_active & absinc$ = 0, result = force(xabs, yabs)
      pcan1, pbld, n$, sgfeed, sgplane, `sgcode, sgabsinc, pccdia,
        pxout, pyout, pzout, pcout, [if motst$, feed], strcantext, pscool, e$
      if rpd_typ$ = 7, ptool_insp #Tool Inspection Point

the if rpd_typ7$ is the trigger line that sends it to this section

ptool_insp   #Tool Inspection Point Customization Required
      #Modify following line to customize tool inspection points
      pcool_off #Coolant off before tool inspection
      sav_absinc = absinc$
      absinc$ = one
      pbld, n$, sm05, e$ #Spindle off
      pbld, n$, sm00,"(CAUTION POST GENERATING MOTION FOR TOOL INSPECTION)", e$
      pbld, n$, *sgabsinc, *sg28ref, "Z0.", scoolant, e$
      pbld, n$, *sg28ref, "X0.", "Y0.", e$
      pbld, n$, sm00, "(INSPECT TOOL)", e$
      absinc$ = sav_absinc
      pbld, n$, *sgcode, *sgabsinc, pwcs, *xabs, *yabs, *speed, *spindle, pgear, e$
      pinsp_cool_on #Coolant on after tool inspection
      pbld, n$, sg43, *tlngno$, *zabs, scoolant, e$

You can edit that as needed to get what you need.

This reply above is exactly what was in my post. I did a couple mods to position the tool where I want but it looks like the post is behaving correctly. If we end up using tool inspect more down the road I'll know where to come back to.

The issue I was having is my tool stays in the cut for most of the toolpath so MC never finds a safe spot to retract for a tool inspect. For this particular case I ended up just splitting up a 2D dynamic operation into 4 separate ops. I can see tool inspect being much more useful when you aren't milling a square block onto a square piece of stock. Tool inspect is a new tool I'm happy to now have in my toolbelt, just not the right tool for this particular case.

Again, thanks for all the replies and insights. Always more to learn

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jake L said:

The tool inspection is awesome but my tool is in the cut for the first 90% of the toolpath. As soon as it comes out of the cut to loop back around it retracts for a tool inspect, but by then it's been in the cut for 50min of the 60min total.

I think I may be trying to find that elusive easy button here.

My first thought was to use two separate dynamic mill ops. Both would create a retract after every pass allowing the tool inspect to happen at any of these retracts. The biggest thing I don't like is exiting and entering the cut every single cut, I'd rather do it every 5 or 10 passes than every one. Please see dropbox pictures

Dropbox Dynamic Motion Pics

In that case I will break up the operations and use stock models to help.

• Like 1