Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Defaults files

Can I copy my defaults file in my "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Mastercam 2024\mill\Ops" directory & rename it with a name for each of my machines, then set that as the defaults for each machine in the Machine Definition? Or will this screw something up? We would like to have different defaults for our routers & our machining centers.

• Like 1

You can...

I find this works easier & cleaner IF you're setting a machine/control def/post to a certain machine and then associating an OP's file with that group..

It will load automatically when you load the machine def....whereas if you want to switch it manually...you have to remember each time....that can work but you can also find yourself having switching it at inopportune times 

2 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Can I copy my defaults file in my "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Shared Mastercam 2024\mill\Ops" directory & rename it with a name for each of my machines, then set that as the defaults for each machine in the Machine Definition? Or will this screw something up? We would like to have different defaults for our routers & our machining centers.

Yep.  It's a good thing to do... While you're in there, make your toolpath groups more organized for your workflow, i.e., organize your drill ops so it's drill, spot, tap for 1/4-20s (or whatever order you do things). 

• Thanks 1

One other thought.  I think you  might know this, but remember that you can drag & drop files (.mcam or .mcam-operations or whatever) directly into your toolpath manager.  So if you want to bring in your 1/4-20 drill cycles, you can drag and drop them right into the current file.     It should be fairly rare that you need to create a toolpath using the "defaults" once you get a good library set up.  

That allows you to have a bunch of different scenarios in the same file to import into others.   Dynamic with weak part clamping vs. full on attack mode, etc.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

One other thought.  I think you  might know this, but remember that you can drag & drop files (.mcam or .mcam-operations or whatever) directly into your toolpath manager.  So if you want to bring in your 1/4-20 drill cycles, you can drag and drop them right into the current file.     It should be fairly rare that you need to create a toolpath using the "defaults" once you get a good library set up.  

That allows you to have a bunch of different scenarios in the same file to import into others.   Dynamic with weak part clamping vs. full on attack mode, etc.

Can you explain this another way?  The only way I know how to do this is right click - import toolpath. It would be sweet if I could have the toolpath manager for the file I am working on and another one pulled up next to it with all of my "templated" toolpaths.

2 hours ago, rgrin said:

Can you explain this another way?  The only way I know how to do this is right click - import toolpath. It would be sweet if I could have the toolpath manager for the file I am working on and another one pulled up next to it with all of my "templated" toolpaths.

This is simply a shortcut, you still have to manage it through the import dialog.  Unfortunately, you can't drag and drop directly between Mastercam sessions, there's a lot of validation that needs to happen (it's what happens under the hood when you import/export).

I made a little video showing what I mean:

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

My biggest complaint with the import operations manager is it seems to leave groups open and can make the tree incredibly long to scroll through.  However, I think I noticed a behavior yesterday that it saves the tree in the state that you left it. So if you save it with the groups closed, it might a little neater.  Will need to play with that today.

1 hour ago, rgrin said:

My biggest complaint with the import operations manager is it seems to leave groups open and can make the tree incredibly long to scroll through.  However, I think I noticed a behavior yesterday that it saves the tree in the state that you left it. So if you save it with the groups closed, it might a little neater.  Will need to play with that today.

Yeah, anything that queries the the tree dialog gets it back in the state it was in.  You can find it in the Transform dialog as well:

image.png.29c2dc463bd08d7245359e22daf30a89.png

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

This is simply a shortcut, you still have to manage it through the import dialog.  Unfortunately, you can't drag and drop directly between Mastercam sessions, there's a lot of validation that needs to happen (it's what happens under the hood when you import/export).

Side note. How did you get your planes and levels manager to not have all the extra junk underneath the spreadsheet?  I kinda like the look of your screen layout and want to give it a whirl

Edit: NVM! Found the Hide Properties buttons on them! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rgrin said:

Side note. How did you get your planes and levels manager to not have all the extra junk underneath the spreadsheet?  I kinda like the look of your screen layout and want to give it a whirl

Edit: NVM! Found the Hide Properties buttons on them! 

jesus I love these forums LOL!!

I never knew about the hide properties either, that's amazing, I always wanted planes + levels smaller but I hate how jumbled up it all got. 

and THEN I watched the video, and seeing @Aaron Eberhardright click drag and drop geometry from chain to chain,... amazing how many little hidden gems there are.

Almost sad I've been programming in mastercam for over 10 years and I still somehow know so little 😂

3 hours ago, Kyle F said:

jesus I love these forums LOL!!

I never knew about the hide properties either, that's amazing, I always wanted planes + levels smaller but I hate how jumbled up it all got. 

and THEN I watched the video, and seeing @Aaron Eberhardright click drag and drop geometry from chain to chain,... amazing how many little hidden gems there are.

Almost sad I've been programming in mastercam for over 10 years and I still somehow know so little 😂

Hah!  Damn kids!   I'm almost 20 years into Mastercam now and I'm still learnin' every day :)

• Like 4