Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Emergency stop button

Brendan P

All our bar mills our shut down by e-stop. The power switch on the pendant just turns on the 120 to the machine. All of our machines have pc's on them. The machine itself can be off and we still have access to the control and the PC. To completely power down the machines you have to pull the breaker on the wall. Our floor bar has a on/off switch built into the control and the german guy who trained me on it said the e-stop is exactly what it is, an emergency stop only.

How about shutting the door B4 the coolant turns on. It's happened twice since my last post. bonk.gifbonk.gifbonk.gif

Or better yet getting an office guy out watching and getting him with the coolant. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Then there is the EDM flushing cross drill hole that didn't get plugged. bonk.gifbonk.gif

Once, when trying all the buttons of a brand new Fadal, I thought I would see what the E-stop button did. While the machine was rapiding, I hit the Estop, expecting that it would stop the axis and the spindle.

To my surprise, E-stop kills the power to the motors, but if they are in motion, they continue to move untill momentum or other laws of physics make them stop. Haven't touched that button since. Shut-down or otherwise.

I run two older milltronics machines sometimes and if you dont hit the e stop before shutting them down the head drops about half inch or so...this is a problem when these machines are running and freeze up in middle of toolpath cause the e stop isnt recognized when u hit it and guess what when I have to power them down and restart them yep the cutter crashes right into the work piece...

Depending on how some people write their ladder logic some accessories could turn on immediately when either the nc or servo system is ready. So as to prevent this pressing the estop prior to shut down assures those accessories will only restart after the estop has been released.

On some machines I write the ladder logic so that after you release estop you must press reset.

have a nice long weekend

George

Ahhh what a sore spot for me....that freaking E-stop.......What pisses me off is those guys that slam on the e-stop like its the buttons on a arcade game....they come loose ,short out,,,causeing big time headaces.......I dont use the e-stop unless theres a problem with the machine & i have to stop it on the spot!....shut the control down ,power main turned off...thats it for me......LaTER FOLKS