Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Allocations

Storkman

eek.gif 4gb of RAM. Holy smokes. I've got a 9gb hard drive which is only half full, even with all the crap I save. Is this they way the computer industry is going, all RAM, no hard disk?

Does anyone else remember the old days, when you would boot your computer with a 5in floppy and then switch it out for your application disk. Everything was running on 64bits of RAM. Have we come that far, or I am I just getting old?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

With 4GB of RAM, I'd kill the Windows SWAP file. That shoudl be enough RAM to run MC and all the other apps I run simultaneously AND have enough left over for a Winamp session.

Just out of curiosity, what OS are you running???

Actually, I remember the 10 inch floppy disk in the days before the public had computer.

The first actually computer, invented by Alan Turning, was a stepping machine, later called a Turing Machine. It was design to step through the German Enigma ciphers using the brut-force method. In 1937, he published a paper explaining the modern computer, but no one at the time understood this. Later, the Bomba was created by the Polish cryptographers (Rejewski was a key player here) to continue breaking the cyphers. These "deciphering" machines were kept secret until in 1974 when ULTRA was revealed.

We can thank code breakers for the invention and design of computers.

Today, the chip is coming into play that will contain both the processor and ram in a single chip. Presently, the problem is heat, but that will soon be overcome.

For more info on Alan Turing, ULTRA, just do a search on the internet. You will find some interesting information.

Code_Breaker

cheers.gif

PS Have fun with your new "stuff".

[ 06-11-2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Code_Breaker ]

quote:

Have we come that far, or I am I just getting old?

Probably both. tongue.gif

My first CAD/CAM computer had 2 8in floppies,

one for the executable disc, the other for storage. There was no hard drive, 64K of memory

and no mouse. All geometry and move commands were typed in. It had a 10 in (??) 4 color screen

which was a very big deal and a very expensive option back then.

FYI if you have 4 GB RAM, XP allocates 2GB to its kernel. So there's ony 2GB left for data. You can increase data allocation to 3GB by modifying boot.ini.

[boot loader]

code:

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /3GB

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

It's a must-know for CATIA users. wink.gif

HTH

quote:

3GB by modifying boot.ini.

[boot loader]

code:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /3GBmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

-----------------------------

This 3GB switch can also be tuned by adding a user variable

USERVA = 2900

to the end of the second line

I currently use this 3 GB switch and a user setting af 2900 with Unigraphics and it works just fine as UG like Catia has this 3 GB option. I have tried these settings with Mastercam and it makes no difference to the amount of memory that can be allocated to the software. the maximum numbers that I can get to work with mastercam are

You can increase the numbers and it will save the .CFG file but as soon as you try to create a Toolpath you get an allocation error.

Budjie, those were my old settings. i can get 400000 to work in the database allocation but thats it. Why does the help section say you can put 2097146 in both of these if they dont work. James said he can get 1gb to work in both but I'm not having any luck there.

I hope this isnt a stupid statement, Storkman hasn't said what his new pc is, but I was under the impression that a 32bit processor could only address 3Gb of ram, so the other 1Gb is wasted anyway. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif