Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t - transferring files between computers

garyg

Could someone please give me some advice on what is the easiest, cheapest and most foolproof (Ha!) way to transfer files from Win95 to XP? I just upgraded my 8 year old home Pentium 133 and now have a PIII. Of course the old computer has no CD burner or USB ports. I was going to use my Iomega Zip to transfer files but I discovered after not using it in over a year, it has died. I do not want to buy a network card for the old computer. I'm told that a simple null modem serial cable connection between the two computers and using Hyperterminal will do the job, however it will be very slow. Speed is not an issue. I don't have the expertise to put the old hard drive into the new computer. I found a product called PC Relocator on the net but it's around $50 and I'm too cheap to spend the money. However, after my second attempt at transferring has failed it may be the wisest choice.

Thank you for any input.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler

--Albert Einstein

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ummmm, the easiest way is to pull the old HDD out of the old PC and put it in the new PC and then just transfer what you want/need. After you're done, you can then re-format the HDD and you have a new drive, or you can take it back out and put it back in and re-load Windoze and sell it or give it away.

HTH

quote:

Could someone please give me some advice on what is the easiest, cheapest and most foolproof (Ha!) way to transfer files from Win95

I would have to say that slaving your old drive to new computer would accomplish this. i understand you feel uncomfortable with this method, but it really is not very difficult. when you open your case you will see ribbon going to new hard drive, this cable will have extra plug that gets attached to slave drive..and then use extra power plug. My suggestion would be to open up case and take a look, see if its something you might try.....

old hard drive will not need to be attached just prop it up with anything to keep it from hanging.

old drive will also need jumper switch, moved from master to slave position. usually a diagram on drive will explain this.

quote:

the easiest way is to pull the old HDD

yup,

not to hard. pull it,look on the back for a jumper for master / slave. set it to slave. find an extra cable and plug it in. all else fails pay someone to do it. still cheaper than buying somthing and still deal with the transfering

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

from specv...can't you just use a crossover network cable?...

quote:

from garyg...do not want to buy a network card for the old computer...