Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

drilling in air

I can do it in a couple of ways in Mastercam depending what

the geometry is (one hole _ many ,saME HEIGHT -DIFFERENT heights ) .

But being lazy I for one or two holes or same height or same distances I would write by hand using Mcall command or Fanuc equivalent of it or parametric

sorta

Main program

Mcall deepdrill

x.. y... z..

x.. y... z..

x.. y... z..

x.. y... z..

MMCall

Subroutine

deepdrill

g0 g91

g1 z... f..

g0 z...

g1 z... f..

g0 z...

g1 z... f..

g0 g90 z...

m17

Something like this

Winnie teh I am writing at home ,this only

approximate format of a program ,but it will work

Mcall local modal subrotine call

I have done some square tubing before, drilling all the way through from one side.

I created a 3d solid and imported to Mastercam of the tubing I was doing, or you could create points at one depth, then again at the depth of the inside of the tube.

I use two drill cycles. For the first, I set my clearance .1 abs, retract .1 abs, depth -.25 inc. and I picked the top points.

For the second drill cycle I set my clearance .1 abs, retract .1 inc, depth -.25 inc, and picked the bottom points.

What this does is drill all the holes in the top side, then goes back and drills all the holes in the bottom, but rapids through the previously drilled hole and starts drilling the second hole .100" from the inside of the tube.

Some people might not like rapiding into a hole the same size. That's up to you, I had no problem with it. But I was only drilling 9/16" clearance holes, nothing fussy.

I've been reading here for quite a while, so I guess it's about time for my first post.

Here's what I have done in similar situations.

Create 3 lines along the axis of the hole. The first being .1 (or whatever retract you want to use) above the hole passing through the first wall and extending through enough for your drill point, the second line is colinear with the first and continues to a reasonable distance above the second wall, the third line is like the first but through the second wall. Using different colors helps you remember it is not one line, but three.

Chain them like you were going to mill them (contour - all one chain) it will be a 3d type. Depth will be incremental 0.0 and greyed out. Make sure cutter comp is off. Your feed rate and plunge rate should be your desired drilling feed.

Then right click on the .nci portion in the op manager to open the toolpath editor. If you haven't used it before it will take you a few minutes to figure it out. But basically you want to select a point and edit it. You can change the feedrate for the middle line to 200 or 500 or whatever makes you happy. Make sure the section radio button is on and not the modal one or you will do a little high feed drilling of the second wall.

If you have multiple holes with the same depths, you can transform the toolpath.

here's a code snippet:

N108 G43 H2 Z2.M8

N110 Z.1

N112 G1 Z0.F10.

N114 Z-.25

N116 Z-1. F200.

N118 Z-1.2 F10.

N120 G0 Z.25

A little more code than a drilling cycle, but it gives you exact control.

Food for though anyway