Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

"missing op file"

steve f

After spending a fair amount of time designing a solid I shut down Mcam and opened it up again. When trying to retrieve the file I received this warning and two solids used in a boolean operation are now missing and the resulting main solid is now dirty and un-regenerateable (sp?). Fortunately I converted into surfaces before closing the file the first time so I can still toolpath. Anyone else run into this problem in the past? Any ideas what the cause?

thanks,

steve

anyway, you should receive the message "some solids are in need of regeneration, you may not be ablr to retrieve this file again.continue anyway?"

and if you will click yes, the next time you'll open you soild you will really pissed off. smile.gif

As pooh said, use your levels. smile.gif

There is nohistory C-hook for this on ftp .

ftp://mastercam:[email protected]/Ma...ooks/nohist.dll

It saves your solid without history tree .

Also convert it to parasolid and import parasolid makes basically the same .

And I always do make surfaces after final solid ,

I prefer to mill surfaces and use solid for design.

A combination of autosave to a different name

c:mastrestbackup.mc9 every 10 minutes ,incremental backup (stages ),leveled geometry (I import name leves names from separate file - in levels manager right click export/import levels names ) ,surfaces from solid and I am happy with MC9 and solids

HTH

WTHH

• 3 months later...

I have had this happen since V8. I also save different versions; part1,part2 to avoid having to manually regenerate the solid. I can fully explain this file saving process if needed. There is no warning when saving the file; "some solids in need of generation" and the solid manager impliews that all is well. I design molds which usually require converting a part file from another CAD system and I also like to merge in 2D geometry for standard mounting hole patterne etc. I experience the trouble when I translate the 2D geometry to match the origin of the current design. I do not use the merged 2D geometry in the mold solid and have this geometry on its own level but it still corrupts the solid. This can be a real problem.

quote:

To avoid it always keep your solids basic geometry on a separate level

HTH

I've tried that in the past. I make the level with the lines invisible, but if you Xform the solid, MC creates new geometry for the solid, leaving the old geomerty behind. After a couple of moves, there can be quite a mess. I supose masking is the answer, but I'm curious what other people do.

I almost always use the nohist c-hook, but

then again I never Xform translate as I only use

the WCS on all my models.

If the designers make any changes the new model comes

in just like the first and all my Geo I use to create my WCS are still in place.

WCS, WCS, WCS , its a beautiful thing. biggrin.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif