Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File management?

specprogrammer

Is there a way that I can bring a program that has been edited, or even created at the machine back into MC. Then at a later date, make additional changes. We need to implement a system of managing our files so various edits of programs don't end up floating around the shop. I had a problem with a "proven program". I found the problem, four different operators using four different programs. Unacceptable!

Dig towards setdirs.c-hook .

Make it a start c-hook ,a must !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Description:

Allows all directories to be set to a common directory called a project

directory. Directories may be restored to the default setting by

selecting "Set ALL directories from current configuration file".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HTH

WTHH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...We need to implement a system of managing our files so various edits of programs don't end up floating around the shop...

This is an easy one... ABSOLUTELY,POSITIVELY, NO EDITS OUT ON THE SHOP FLOOR...

But to answer your main question, no. Currently there is NO CAM system out there that is "G-Code associative". If there is no away around editing at the machine then I'd suggest you give the setup guy (or whoever performs edits) a pad of paper and have them list all the changes they made so you can inplement that in your Mastercam file. Now, where I work we've had this discussion with the setup guys about making changes out of necessityacceptable) vs. making changes for the sake of making changes(un-acceptable). We programmers make the determination if the setup guy can't make the case for the change. On advantage we programmers have is that in about 90% of the cases we programmers have actually made good parts from the programs as presented to the setup guys so their case needs to be pretty compelling to get a change, now, more often than not our programs were for prototypes so they are not fully optimized, they are done in a hurry to get the part done so it can go to assembly then test.

HTH

Yes, you have a choice to send or receive a program weatheter you're using mastercam or cimco (check if you use a different way to communicate. Those are the We save the programs on the network, overriding them with the latest and greatest edits that are proven.

quote:

This is an easy one... ABSOLUTELY,POSITIVELY, NO EDITS OUT ON THE SHOP FLOOR...

A little different situation here James. Every operator is also a programmer with their own seat of mastercam so it happens quite a bit. We have to make sure that the dates match on all the necessary files. So far so good (fingers crossed).

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Every operator is also a programmer with their own seat of mastercam so it happens quite a bit...

Rob, so they edit the program rather than make the change in MC and re-post??? headscratch.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Something else we do that comes to mind is that we have a "server" where all the CNC Programs are stored and they must get the files from that server. If there is a problem with the file then the programmers will make the determination on the change.

quote:

Rob, so they edit the program rather than make the change in MC and re-post???

Pretty often that's the case. The reason is that a lot of our standard and proven programs were made back in version 5, or moldbase option that was available through mastercam up to version 7. A lot of those files are only in .nc format with no geometry left(scary) from the original file. It would be pretty time consuming to re-make 500+ programs, even though that's the long term goal. I know it's a pretty crude method, but it has been working. We're pretty limited on time,and we could only do so much. So far, so good.

heres a question for you: how many programs are in a machine at a given time? are people required to make sure the program is put back in the laptop (or server) and delete the program from the machine it was in? our problem is we might run a job in machine A one month and the same job could go into machine B three months later. and so on and so on. anyways, we end up having the program for that job in multiple machines and it makes for a nightmare of a time making sure the programs are backed up. i have my ideas but the owner likes his way better. just wondering what everyone else is doing.

same here as Rob, 90% of our operators are seasoned toolmakers and know the code well enough to make there own decisions at the machines. they tweak the programs as they run. then they have a pc at the machine to send and recieve to the network. I set up directorys for new programs and good download programs for them with passwords for each machine. that way they dont get mixed up. every time they are done with a job they update the backup directory with the program they just used. that way any new edits are kept up to date

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Like I said before for us it's "Post and Run". If the MC file is not up to date with the changes, it needs to get that way - obviously this really only works for V7 and beyond. Part of the reason for this mandate is because we deal with the FAA, and many Aerospace Co's so we have to be able to trace everything and the decision was made that the Mastercam file needs to be Gospel. If it's not right, it needs to get that way. Besides, it is infinitely faster( and safer for that matter) to fix the MC file and re-post. Our Cinci's have floppy drives, out Mori's use either SRAM Cards or get loaded via fiber optic so RS-232 is not even spoken in our shop. Our post processors are way dialed in. Post and run and we add functionality to them periodically as well.

JM2C

quote:

Like I said before for us it's "Post and Run". If the MC file is not up to date with the changes, it needs to get that way

This is the way we run our shop also.....employees on the shop floor can edit the program....but those edits must be relayed to the programmer so edits are made to the mcam file and saved for future runs.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...We also have programs that are made on the shop floor that we would like to be able to store and modify, but are not sure how...

There's not really a truly effective method to accomplish this. I mean there's Reverse Posting but that is really not the best way. Now I realize the world is not a perfect place and there are always extenuating circumstances, but if I have the choice... even if for some dumb drilled tapped grid plate that would be a breeze to do at the machine, I'd still do it in Mastercam from the get-go. You never know if you'll need it again, or if you'll need to get a change incorporated or whatever. There's so many upsides to doing it that way and only 1 downside. Gotta go with what got me where I am today... biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oh, one more thing, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of dialed in Post Processors. Even if you have to pay several thousand dollars, it will SO pay for it(them)selves. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do them myself so generally speaking I don't use my reseller's post services except for the occasional question but would not even hesitate for a second if we needed one that was over our heads.

JMHO

We post and prove our own programs before we let the operators at 'em... They are not allowed to edit period. Any changes we make at the machine get put back into Mastercam and like James says, reposted. We have one file on our server that is nothing but proven tried / true programs... We update all our set-up sheets and prints ourselves... its a little extra work, but it sure saves headache when it comes time to run a part... Our posts are dialed in too... No hassles... Less wasted time and trauma at the machine.

I am designer, programmer, setup man, operator, and clean up man.

I always repost my changes by making my edits it MC and reposting. It is a real pain in the butt and time consuming, however, I can then trust what is in MC and not have to guess about the NC file and can repost with up to date changes.

I have on occasion, when Im lazy, edited NC at machine and with the knowledge that a year from now when they reorder I will have to deal with it.

I think Jim has the best all around solution for reliability even though it seems like extra work.