Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T In need of a tap

robk

I'm looking for a M10x1.00 tap. Seems like nobody that I deal with makes them suitable for machines. All are hand taps mad.gif . I would thread mill them, but not possible on that machine nor is it cost effective to run it on a different machine. Anyone out there have a source for M10x1.00 high performance taps?

Rob

OSG makes ALL KINDS of crazy sh!t for Japan that they don't put in their US catalog. We have a copy of their Japanese book here somewhere but I can't lay my hands on it right now. I was looking for an oddball small metric tap about 6 months ago and found it in there. If you want to deal with that hassle call your OSG rep and ask them to check the overseas offerings for that pitch. If you don't want to do that you could have them made by somebody like this:

http://www.natool.com

good luck!

C

Thanks Chris

Already called my reps. (Pioneer & American). No can do. Gotta be custom made. Hey, just for the hell of it, have you ever tried using a hand tap with a peck tapping cycle? I'm thinking of giving that a try. Not feeling very ballsy this morning though, so maybe the urge will just pass me by. Worst case situation would be to hand tap...

Thanks for the link Chris, but I don't think my boss would go for having a couple of custom taps made for an oddball job.

I have peck-tapped with a hand pipe tap in steel before with fairly decent results. How many holes are you tapping? If it isn't a ton I'd just tap it in the machine deep enough to get started and bring it to depth on the bench; pain in the a$$ I know but cheaper than snapping a tap off in an expensive piece.

As for the custom taps, I don't know how much they are worth but a couple hundred bucks for some taps may be a lot cheaper in the long run than screwing around with other stuff...

C

Thanks Ron & beagle millman for the links. I already have the hand taps on order, but if either one of those places has them, I will order them. Lack of time today though.

AeroTech, it's a single function. Do a search for peck tapping and you should come up with some good info.

Thanks again guys. I don't have the latest catalogs and web sites are no help. I called Emuge directly last night and they do have them in stock, but need to put the .ticn coating on them. The price ended up being about $60.00 each with the coeting. In the meantime just finished running the hand tap from MSC yesterday, and it lasted through the beginning of the project.