Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

FANUC O-M CONTROL

ARP

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what parameters to set/check on a Fanuc O-M control to do rigid tapping (if it is possible?). We don't have any tapping heads for the CNC so I would have to put the tap in an endmill holder. I have done some trial runs without a tap and everything SEEMS o.k. but any help is appreciated before I sacrifice a tap and/or block.

ARP

ARP,

WE HAVE A EXCEL MILL WITH A FANUC O-M CONTROL. WE DO RIGID TAP ON THIS MILL ALL THE TIME. I DID LOOK IN THE PARAMETER MANUAL & DIDN'T SEE ANY REFERENCES TO SETTING PARAMETERS TO RIGID TAP. THIS MAY BE A SETTING THAT THE MACHINE TOOL COMPANY SET(MAYBE SOLD AS A OPTION). I WOULD THINK IF YOUR MILL IS NEWER IT WOULD HAVE RIGID TAP ON IT. SO GO FOR BROKE AND TRY RUNNING A TAP. TRY A 3/8 TAP AT APX. 300RPM. I'M SAYING THIS BECAUSE A GENIUS IN THE SHOP

TRIED TO TAP A HOLE ON A MILL WITHOUT RIGID TAPPING, ALL THAT HAPPENED WAS THE THREADS WERE LOOSE. UNFORTUNATELY HE RAN ALL THE PARTS THAT WAY.

SO TRY A COUPLE HOLES & DEPTHS. GOOD LUCK.

set parameter #076 bit 3 to a 1.

Use a G84 for the cycle and specify an M29 on the line before the G84.

Hope this helps.

I use this alot,but have to go slow on the rpm's because the spindle doesn't slow down fast enough when it reaches Z zero.

I would shy away from taps smaller than 1/4".

Unless you are feeling brave.