Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Help!! Catia tutorial books please.....

Brendan P

As usual,I come to my favorite place to get the 'expert' help I need.

We have just purchased a 5 Ax Mitsu Laser,and the preferred software package is Cenit's (Catia based) Fast Trim.

I have been going thru in house training for Catia V5R12 for the past (2) days,and already my head is spinning!!

If any of you have used Catia,you know that it is much different than Mastercam. (and our teacher isn't that great either.)

BTW,thanks Peter for the Great training from Services 4 automation.

You don't realize how you got till it sucks!!

Anyway,I was hoping to find some good Catia training books (for dummies like me) biggrin.gif

The other problem is I think version 5 is a lot diff. then 4.

Also,I wasn't too impressed with the so called 'package' Cenit sold us.

No real discs,(just burned memorex cd's with magic marker writing on them),no real book(s) just mimeograph pages in a so called binder,(about 30 pages in all).

No real box for any of it either,not even sure if the are going to give us any back up discs!!

The real kicker is that there is no hasp,so if I want to learn at home,I have to take the whole computer box with me.

I would apreciate any help on really getting going on this software. wink.gif

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Buckethead,

Thanks for the props. It's always good to hear from former students that it wasn't all in vain. Good luck with the software. If it was me, I'd probably just ask them to buy the Catia converter for Mcam and then have the post tweaked for the output I was looking for. That's just me however. I love how Management ALWAYS consults with the guys who have to work with the stuff before purchasing it. rolleyes.gif I feel for you Brendan. cheers.gif

quote:

(just burned memorex cd's with magic marker writing on them),no real book(s) just mimeograph pages in a so called binder,(about 30 pages in all)

curse.gif

Bucket that's Getto. With the cost of Catia, I would expect to have it delivered along with a new Dell. biggrin.gif

They got to be able to hook you up. headscratch.gif

Catia.... isn't that based off the old 30 year old CAD-AM software?

Takes an act of Congress just to draw a line.....

Unfortunatly most of the government aircraft guys use it....go figure....

L/M used to not do any out-sourcing to anyone who couldn't give them a native Catia file.

That's probably why the bosses bought it, maybe headscratch.gif well sometimes you can't tell about upper management rolleyes.gif

Sounds like you guys are going to get into some fun work Brendon..... cheers.gif

Good luck smile.gif

Murlin

quote:

Takes an act of Congress just to draw a line.....

Actually,like any cad software once you get the hang of it,it isn't too bad.

When you are drawing a 2D profile,you draw it 'freehand' or close to what it should look like,then you go ahead and 'constrain' (create tangencies,input the actual values) of all the geometry.

I think this is done mostly because this cad software is used by designer type draftsman. wink.gif

BTW,hi Jack smile.gif

It would be nice if Charles Davis wrote some books on this stuff!! cheers.gif

Two guys here just got back from a week of

Catia V5 school. They say the design package is similar to SolidWorks. No feedback on the manufacturing module yet. I'm told its very powerful. I was on a hot project at the time and didn't even get to sit in on the sales demo frown.gif

According to the salesman, you just window it

and cut it wink.gifrolleyes.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...With the price of the software,they should be performing certain other acts too!!!

Something along the lines of dinner and a kiss before they screw you??? biggrin.giftongue.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif LOL!!!!