Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling: Change at Point - Jump Hgt

All,

I am looking for your esteemed opinions on the following subject:

Drilling –> Change at Point –> Jump Hgt.

As you may recall, in v9.1 when you tagged a Jump Hgt. change to a drilled point you got a “double point jump”. The first move to this jump height occurred before the selected point and the Z stayed at this level until after the selected point.

In X this double jump is to be eliminated (this is a good thing).

This question of the day is this ->

Imagine you have 6 points to drill and you need to clear (jump over) an obstruction between Point #3 and Point #4

When you tag a Jump Hgt (using Change at Point) onto a drilled point, should...

Choice #1 ->

The move to the Jump Hgt will occur after that point has been drilled.

Means you would make the Jump Hgt. change by selecting Point#3

Choice #2 ->

The move to the Jump Hgt will occur before that point has been drilled.

Means you would make the Jump Hgt. change by selecting Point#4

Roger,

What about making a flyout box available to the programmer that nags the question. I know that it doesn't make much sense at your end or even at my end considering the frequency and the questionable practice.

In other words - If the programmer selects a point that varies from the current "Z" level or plane, would it be possible to establish the flyout.

Another question back at you is - what exactly are the competitors doing within their software packages that might address this question?

Regards, Jack

Jack (and All),

This is something that there would not by an “on the fly” choice.

It would work “this way” or “that way”. Now you have a known rule so that the programmer knows what is going to happen.

I am a bit suppressed with the slight lead for Choice #2.

Especially since the Choice #1 method was how it worked in Mastercam prior to v9!

Seeing Keith’s response I’m wondering if the way I worded that Choices has skewed the results. If you are looking ahead would not you want Choice #1 ?

Choice #1 =

I drill Pt#3.

Looking ahead, I know that I need to pull up the drill extra high since an obstruction is coming up. So I tag a Jump Hgt change here (on the Pt#2 location), so the tool jumps up.

Now move on to the following (Pt#4.) position.

I lean to Keiths idea.

i just drilled this hole and I need to clear the clamp going to this (click) hole. in change at point in contour when switching to rapid from 1 point to another it always seems strange to me to select the point at the end of rapid move. this may contradict what I said about jump hieghts, but then, who says Im sane headscratch.gif

I think choice #2. As I ponder a drill hole, I am concerned with how I approach the hole, not how I depart it.

That is, my mental focus is on hole #4. How do I get there? Do I need to clear any obstacles?

On the last hole, I'm not concerned about how I leave the area at all, since I retract to home.

Maybe this is just how my mind works, but I think the v9 way is confusing.

If the vote is close at all given v9 worked the other way [and people have been conditioned to it think the other way] I think argues that most think as I described above; we must all have a strong intuitive drive to think as I've described.