Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surf Cam vs MasterCam

Kozal

I started a big thread on this a little while back. I received some help from other Forum members here. Do a search.

Anyhow, I was inquiring because we had a new guy start and he was a Surfcam guy. The end result is that he is switching from Surfcam to Mastercam because he likes it more. Surfcam is very good but Mastercam is better. Once the Mastercam interface is improved, it won't even be a comparison.

Thanks,

Mike

quote:

You are correct Steve! Basically, if you can't make the part.. you can't make the part.

He could always come here and ask some questions....and then we could all laugh at him! biggrin.gif

quote:

I’m about to add four more mill stations and was asked why not Surf Cam?

I would ask "Why Surfcam?" After 15 years, you should be a good representative for MC.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif BTW, are you guys busy over there in Grand Rapids?

Thad

quote:

well if your going to get 4 or more licenses of cadcam software, i would rather not go the expensive route especially when i don't like the whole concept of maintenance fees. Much cheaper to got with a low cost cadcam seats.

LoL @ Mackius.

There's a bit of a difference in a)capability, b)configurability, c)scalability, d)dependability, e)supportability?? etc etc etc.

Although I haven't tried the OneCNC package yet, from what I've researched and read, OneCNC falls well short of even a fraction of the capability of Mastercam, Gibbs, Cimitron, etc etc etc.

OneCNC has it's little niche, and given a decade or so, it may make it to the top 5 or 10. Where, if you combine it with the OTHER top systems, you'll still be well short of Mastercam's leadership. wink.gif

Mastercam is the real proven leader in Cad/Cam.

Kozal,

If they're driven by costs, ask them what the cost will be when they have to send you and others out to learn a new software system and what it'll take when you find out that the other software won't do what Mcam. It'll cost them more initially just to replace their invetment in Mcam with another software. The continued investment in Mcam is far less than dumping it in favor of a less expensive, less capable product that is on the down swing and doesn't even work with modern CAD models. Solid modeling is the norm today in high-end CAD packages. Wouldn't it be better to stay with a CAM package that utilizes the leading edge of technology with Solids instead of stepping backwards in only accepting surfaces? Also, what's the support like? Guaranteed you'll come across a situation that you'll need support for. With your experience base in Mcam, that will be far less need for support than Surfcam, and they don't have this forum to boot. Stick with #1. It won't let you down. cheers.gif

quote:

You get what you pay for.

That may be the case for electronics, cars or equipment, but not for software.

I can list many examples where free or low cost software is better or equivalent than their higher priced counterparts. For example linux, mozilla firefox/thunderbird, paintshop pro.

Imo expensive software has one thing in common, there all bloated, offer lots of new features, buggy as hell and always price gouge their customers since they usually have some sought of monopoly. Lets not forget they charge you for patches/upgrades.

smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

... rolleyes.gif ....

Mastercam is not some stinking wordprocessor, graphics editor, or browser either. The level of complexity comparing those apps to Mastercam is like comparing a tricycle to a car. No comparison. The reason not that many flaws have been found with say for example Linnux is because there's not a Bazillion people trying to take it down... yet. Just wait. When say 1:4 or 1:3 users are using Linnux, be prepared, you'll be having the same arguements about it that you're having about Windoze.

Besides, Mastercam is only expensive to purchase the first time. It is in expensive to maintain. A company I know if spends $200k per year to keep their CATIA and UG stations RUNNING.

JM2C

quote:

I can list many examples where free or low cost software is better or equivalent than their higher priced counterparts. For example linux, mozilla firefox/thunderbird, paintshop pro.

Many of us use the 'better' software you listed. We know a good thing when we see/use it.

Please provide a list of CAD/CAM software, or even one, that is better and cheaper than Mastercam? (Provably better. wink.gif )

I don't really like getting involved in these discussions but I will say I have had two exposures to onecnc. One person was constantly getting gouges, the other had onecnc for 2.5 years and never had a working post for his VMC. It took me 20 minutes to create a post for him that went way beyond what he needed. I have two micrometer sets, starret and made in chine. They both have their place. I use the starrets to take critical measurements and the made in china mics are used as c-clamps.

tongue.gif

JM2C