Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th Axis rotary indexing:How do 'you' set Z height offset?

Brendan P

I was curious to how some of you guys set your Z height offset.

Do you set it from the center of the rotab? (This will result in positive absolute Z numbers in program) Bigger Z number:away from part,Smaller Z number:cutting deeper into part.

Or do you set your Z height offset from maybe the top of the part (with result of Minus absolute Z numbers in program.)

Or I guess a better way to explain it is: Do you program your part for "Z" from the centerline of the rotab?

Thanks,

Before I started programming in my dept. and before we had Mastercam,the other programmer who didn't have rotary capabilities with the limited software they had,used to draw the geo. in the flat and then just manually edit the 'A' (rotary moves)in.

So the guys would just set their tools from the top of the part.All absolute Z's would be minus!

This makes for extra work for me.If I continue to program like this,especially if I draw the geo. where it belongs diametrically.

I am trying to get the guys to changebut they are reluctant!God forbid they have to learn something different!

PS..I'm starting to believe that it is only my shop that is "F'd" up!! rolleyes.gif

Hopefully enough people will respond to this thread so I can show this to the guys....

Bucket:

I program to the center. I also converted a shop from manual A-axis programming to MC programming. I had good operators that listened and understood what and why I was telling them. I also learned the importance of good setup documentation. Some of the old programs were still floating around the shop. It took several years to reprogram all their parts and get rid of the old hand written programs. In the long run it was worth it because it minimized the confusion in the shop on how 4 axis part are supposed to be set up. Good luck.

For simultaneous 4-Axis, the center is the only datum that doesns't budge as the 4-Axis moves, right?

That is to say that the datum stays fixed in the control coordinates, but doesn't move with the part. And that will create problems because Mastercam has the datum tied to the part geometry. The tool moves with respect to the part (and datum), meaning that the datum would need to move along with the rotary axis on the machine.