Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid works files

DaveR

I just installed mill3 and solids, I have SW 05, and 04 on my machine.

I can't get .sldprt files to come over to MC, no matter what version I use.

.xt and xb seem to come over OK.

Is this a seperate purchase, to be able to import .sldprt?

I am really not sure of what you mean by:

quote:

I can't get .sldprt files to come over to MC, no matter what version I use.

So...here is some general info.

Mastercam will import a native Solidworks part file out of the box without anything extra. I am not sure what version it started in but maybe since 9.0.

Just do file > converters > parasld > read and then change "files of type" for the proper extension: *.sldprt At this point select the file and since you have solids it should read in the Solid model. This is probably the best type of file for Mastercam.

If you have more problems, put the file on the FTP and someone will check it out.

HTH

Mike

Found these with a search

quote:

In V9.1 you can bring in the .SLDPRT There isn't any conversion needed other than file/convert/parasolid

With MCDirect when in Solidworks there is a Mastercam pulldown, you can select mill and it automatically opens MC

quote:

Are they SolidWorks Drawing files (.SLDDRW) or Part files (.SLDPRT)? V9.1SP2 will read SolidWorks parts from any version of SW. It will not read .SLDDRW files at all.

So far all we use is .X_T for solid works files.

What I mean is I can't open a sldprt file in MC from solidworks 2004 or 2005. Only .xt or .xb files.

From what I understand 2004 .sldprt files should open up in MC. I used file > convert > Parasolid > specified .sldprt, pulled it off the desktop and I get an error message, no solid found etc.

I'll try and post it up. It's just a trial part.

DaveR,

I just tried it and as you say, it will not work. Like I said, I have has this problem many times. I believe that it is something that they are doing wrong in SolidWorks. I don't know SolidWorks so that is all I can say. When I have gotten new files because of this problem, the guy I was getting them from didn't know what he did or didn't do so......? I would ask for a new file before going any further. Have the person try to open the same file back up in Solidworks. If he can, then try a different format.

Mike

Yes I saw that post in my search too, that is the exact same error message I got.

I wonder if having 2005 and 2004 on the same computer is causing issues?

The part I posted was made in SW04 that was after SP2 though, I wonder if the .sldprt version changed at that point? I tried an 05 file without any luck. I saw that CNC is working on a convertor though.

I can't access the FTP site this evening,

so I can't try the file

"Cannot find parasolid data in SolidWorks file".

If a Solidworks file contains only surfaces

it has no parasolid data and will generate that error. That's about the only thing I can think of that would cause this problem.

Thanks, no I don't need it, it was just an extruded sketch to see if things would import.

Gcode, what is 9.1MR904? I think I have 304, I thought that was the latest?

That file should be a watertight solid, it was not made with surfaces.

quote:

what is 9.1MR904?

It is the latest maintenace release.

You can download it from the Mastercam website.

I don't think thier were any changes to solidworks or parasolid stuff in this release though.

Your file came in as a solid, so my intial suggestion is not valid

I've always had trouble opening files by clicking thier icon in explorer

If you click

File/Converters/Parasld and choose sldprt from the filetype dropdown, it won't still open??