Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G Job Surface Milling help

chris m

Good Morning

While I guess this isn't really off-topic, it IS for a government job, so if you don't feel its worth your time I won't take offense.

One of the guys here is building a hot rod motor and he ran into a problem: the exhaust ports on his AFR race heads are enormous and of a different configuration from the openings in the flanges of his [very expensive] headers. As a result I want to machine an adapter flange to smoothly transition from the cylinder head to the header; my problem is that I only have Mill 1 and therefore can't machine surfaces. I haven't modeled the adapter yet but I will be doing so soon [i DO have Solids]; is there a way I can use Mill 1 to machine the tapered windows that I need or do I need to beg one of you guys to lay the toolpath down for me? It IS a G Job so I dont want to buy tapered cutters or anything else like that...

Thanks in advance

C

Thanks a lot guys; I really appreciate your offers of help

I don't think that 2d sweep will work for the geometry I need but I'll keep that in mind

Rob; thanks a lot for the file! I appreciate it. I'v never used the wireframe toolpath options and the Ruled looks like it could definitely help me out

This forum rocks

C

Another thing you can do is project lines onto the surface under Create-Curve-Project then chain the lines. You would need to draw a bunch of lines at your stepover requirement above the surface, then project them. If you did this you would probably need to offset your surface 1/2 the diameter of your ball nose cutter.

Or you can slice the surface, Create-Curve-Slice, making sure to offset the result 1/2 the diameter of the cutter, and then you can chain those lines.