Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A good laptop for running Mastercam??

Mike@Dive Lab Inc.

Hi everyone, I'm about to buy a new computer at work. A laptop would be great. Is anyone running Mcam on one, any suggestions on model & brand. I wouldn't have a problem with it being a little slow just as long as it runs o.k. for the most part. I am currently running level 2 and will be for a while. I know I'll have to beef up the memory and get a good graphics card? any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Build a shuttle and get a LCD instead. Use infared mouse and keyboard.

I carry mine around and it packs away quite nicely and it is a Screamin' Deamon......Can carry everything in one trip from the car.

I know there are people that do it, save your eyes....I couldn't even imagine looking at a screen that small all day...

smile.gif

I have a Toshiba Satellite that I got from Costco for around $1,200.00. I have not had any problems, did not have to add ram (it has 512 megs). It will not go above 1024X768 screen resolution on the built in LCD screen, but it will go higher on an external monitor. You can also configure it run the internal and external monitors at the same time as an extended desktop. Wireless keyboard and mouse are highly recomended, or at least a USB numeric keypad or calculator.

cadcam, Only problem I have is with finding a good rolling case for the 17" screen. Picked one up off of ebay that fits but no padding and it is tearing up already. Only good one I found is nearly $300. I also bought the HP Docking station for mine and love it. One cable to plug in each morning and everything is hooked up. I bought my HP ZD7058 off of Ebay as a factory refurb with 1 year warranty for $1400. Got the Docking station on sale at Best Buy for $200 plus got a $50 HP rebate.

Hey Bryan how is it going? My twin table post is working great if only our EE will quit screwing around with the table logic. He is trying to keep it idiot proof so the machine won't start to move a table if you are not finished loading yet and some of his last edits makes it not run at all now!!! When does the new guy start? I may come take an advanced class with him.

I just got a Toshiba Satellite M30. Centrino 1.8 processor, 64meg graphics (Its Nvidia too smile.gif , and I upgraded the 512mb to 1Gb ram. It also comes stock with a 80gb HD. It runs Mastercam more than happily, and that includes generating some pretty hefty 3D toolpaths.

Its a 15.4 widescreen LCD, and since getting it, I haven't bothered to plug it into my 19" LCD at all. I thought I would get sick of the 15.4 screen, but its actually fine.

I was going to go with the Dell M60, but got screwed around by their sales department so much, I gave up.

I used to think Toshiba was the only laptop to have but we only get new laptops every 4-5 years so they have to last. Our ladder logic guy has a 2 year old Toshiba, top of the line when bought and has had a lot of trouble with it. Been in the shop twice this year. Whatever you buy the extended warranty is worth the money on a laptop.