Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

pro. number methods

Oppiz

I normally use the 7000 range of numbers,because my operators also write programs on their own,this way my program #'s will never conflict with theirs.

Now on our Okumas,we can use names,like $sideone.min% up to 16 characters with letters and numbers mixed,but the first character cannot be a number.

+1 to the Iron Chef

For our Fanuc / Yasnac / Haas controls we use the last four for the actual program number: O1234

For the actual filenames on the network we use program number, op code {A for op1, B for op2, etc), and a machine descriptor: 1234AVF2.nc

For our Okumas we use a machine descriptor (C for Cadet, CP for Captain, LT for LT-15M, etc), then the last 4, then the op code both for the name in the program and network filename: LT1234A.MIN

C

The last four digits work great until you have

several hundred prints from the same customer,

you'll end up with some prints with same last four digits. It depends on how the customer files thier projects. With the numerical order filing system if you have subprograms just use next no. and doc. as sub for prog. number used in main.

1000,2000,3000 going in. If I have pull a program out which is rare, I recieve it into a palm pilot as 1001,2001,3001 respectively. We never keep more than 1 program in the control at one time. Memory is limited on all but our 5 Axis machines. The guys on the floor are not suppose to be editing anything but if you read the thread I started about Haas Beep Torture you will see we have one a problem child.

quote:

The guys on the floor are not suppose to be editing anything but

We are a smaller prototype/experimental shop

so if customer calls we jump, somtimes one machine

will have 2 or 3 jobs set up at a time. Our operators must change tool numbers, comp and offset numbers to suit open stations. When job is through it gets sent back to the server, and file checked to original to be sure nothing but tool inf is changed.

We use a 4 digits of the part number as the main program #, the fixture offsets are usually 1 number down from that and any sub are 1 number up,

Example Part number is 1234;

O1233 (1234.P01/fixture offsets)

O1234 (1234.P01/main program)

O1235 (1234.P01/sub program)

The operations are distinguished by the file extension. We use .P01 for op 1 and .P02 for op 2 and so on.

We are a smaller prototype/experimental shop

so if customer calls we jump,

I can relate to and respect that 100%. That's the environment I cut my teeth in. Here we are a production shop with qty's anywhere from 10 to 10000. Mostly monolythic Airframe fittings. Our shop is 99% Korean dudes that don't communicate to well in english. I give them allot of credit because they try real hard and work real hard as well. The communication gap is the main reason that Programming/Engineering has to maintain control over the process and programs as strictly as possible. When a change needs to be made for whatever reason we typicaly do it in the model and re-post. The models are backed up daily so if and when we need to run the job again it's re-posted fresh from MC. This way any and all post processor changes and improvements are implemented

and the jobs run a bit better each time out. It works preaty good until you run into a hard head that wants to toot his horn all the time. Don't get me wrong. We take all ideas and sugestions from the floor very seriously but no matter where you go there is always an ego or two that you have deal with. Ooops ! I think we Hijacked this thread.

I have recently started saving all programs as 1000. All programs are loaded remote from XpertDNC. This forces the operators to load the new program and not run one that was in the control from a previous revision. Until we implemented this, we ran scrap parts twice because the operator did not load the new program.

+1 CNCGUY and CAM,

We use Preditor software to Fanuc controls, and xxxxor software to xxxxor controls. Save files by part# on the server. Fanuc program # is the first line of file Starting with an O then a comment with the part number, On the xxxxor we can just pick a program number and it will tell us if it is on the machine. The first line is the part number and shows us on the screen the part # to compare to the P.O.

Glenn