Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Windows XP compatability

prw

quote:

So far every software I have used conflicts with Windoze

LOL.....

I run Mill 9.1sp2 on XP. Same things happen in XP as other versions of Windows.

But MC seems run better when multitasking in XP, especially if you are on the net, watching a DVD, crunching a program, printing a DOC.....ect....all at the same time.... less lockups for me than win2k for some reason I dunno why....

XP Home is POS for real world use. XP Pro all the way here. I run Autocad, Mcam, Mechanical Desktop and anything else I need on XP SP2 with no problems. Rest of the company is on 2000 for now but gradually winning them over. Only one will be our EE Tech. He still refuses to give up his Acad14 YUCK. Plus a lot of PLC and Ladder Logic software will not run on XP yet. Fanuc even refuses to support XP still. If you dont buy the Dataserver package you have to use a 3rd party software for communication over ethernet connection.

quote:

I find that hard to believe since the two are almost identical. A few networking differences is all.

Agreed. Pro has filesystem-level encryption, System Restore, 7 more simultaneous incoming network connections and the ability to join a Windows domain.

Otherwise, they have the same kernel. Same "guts". Same Windows XP.

From a support standpoint, XP Home presents you with difficulties that XP Pro dosn't. Home editon, when running on the NTFS files system, still uses file and directory permissions, but dosn't provide any easy interface to them without either booting in Safe Mode or futzing aroud with CACLS.EXE at the command line. Since license management services don't generaly run in Safe Mode, that makes dealing with permissions issues a lot more difficult on Home than on Pro.