Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operation Defaults

Paul McGarr

My first question still stands, but assuming that you can't simply edit a text file, I have a question.

When I go to Screen-Config-NC Settings-Operation Defaults, and select defaults.df9, I get an operations manager style page where I can set defaults for multiple toolpath styles. If I click "select all", then right click and select "edit common parameters", then change my coolant to flood, and program number to 101, then click ok, shouldn't my operationd all be defaulted to use coolant and program 101? It doesnt work. At least not consistantly.

Any ideas?

Paul

quote:

Try doing each operation one at a time.

I've had all my stuff work doing it one at a time.

That's why a text file would be nice. I could search and replace or something to make life easy.

I'm a huge fan of "if it doesn't work, fix it...if you can't fix it, throw it away". Obviously it doesn't work and either it can't be fixed, or CNC Software doesn't feel like fixing it.

banghead.gif

Paul

quote:

That's why a text file would be nice. I could search and replace or something to make life easy.

There's only a dozen or so ops, IF you have level 3. I only have level 1, so it's only a half dozen or so that I had to change. It only takes a few seconds to change each one.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of: "If it seems broke, take another look or ask someone, it might just be operator error" wink.gif

quote:

There's only a dozen or so ops, IF you have level 3. I only have level 1, so it's only a half dozen or so that I had to change. It only takes a few seconds to change each one.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of: "If it seems broke, take another look or ask someone, it might just be operator error" [Wink]

Rekd,

Seems I have 44 operations. I hope you're not implying that I haven't searched the forum, or that my problem is operator error.

Paul

quote:

I hope you're not implying that I haven't searched the forum, or that my problem is operator error.

quote:

I'm a huge fan of "if it doesn't work, fix it...if you can't fix it, throw it away". Obviously it doesn't work and either it can't be fixed, or CNC Software doesn't feel like fixing it.

Not implying anything. Just stating how I see things differently. wink.gif As is the norm for Mastercam; many things that seem 'broke' have work-arounds. Or are not being used properly.

Besides, if you HAD done a search of the forum, you'd have found that there has been problems with edit common params for a long time.

I looked at the defaults, and you're right. 40+ ops for level 3. Meh bad. I don't use half the ones that are available to my level, and doubt you will use them all either.

Like I said, try changing them one at a time and it should work fine.

quote:

Besides, if you HAD done a search of the forum, you'd have found that there has been problems with edit common params for a long time.

I did, and I saw that. I know that it doesn't work. I was asking for a way to make mass changes another way. For example, editing a text file. Is it the case that if I see that something has been an ongoing problem, and has already been discussed, I can't bring it up? Jeeze.

quote:

BTW, I thought you were implying that you were going to 'throw it away' because you couldn't get it to work right..

No, I wasn't implying that I would throw away Mastercam, or that Mastercam sucks, etc. I was suggesting that it would be a good idea to "throw away" the code that doesn't work. It hasn't worked (well) since it was introduced. It doesn't need to be there to confuse the rest of the people who try to use it. That's all.

Paul

quote:

It doesn't need to be there...

Well, jeez... I use it quite a bit. I used it while you were typing your last reply as a matter of fact.

So why remove it? Because you don't/can't use it?

Something that seems 'broke' to one person, might just be 'bent' for another.

There's certain things I DONT use it for, like changing the WCS, or in any ops that I use Misc Values.

Paul,

You could setup a .cfg file like "mill9paul.cfg"

and then edit all your defaults.df9 ops and save that as "defaultspaul.df9" in the same folder.

Next pick that file when you select ops to change settings on. Now edit your desktop icon properties like this example, (to edit right click the icon)

Before edits,

C:Mcam9MILL9.EXE

After edits,

C:Mcam9MILL9.EXE /3 /S mill9paul.cfg

this would go in the target field.

If everything works like my system you would find your defaultspaul are now your default ops.

You could also setup an op library with all your settings instead of the above idea. Finally you could also setup your tools in the library (custom or stock library) so that coolant and the like are all setup for you. Oh yeah almost forgot one other thing, you only need the program number on the first operation you fill in the boxes for. Unless of course you have multiple operations posted out of one file with multiple NCI files setup in your operations. biggrin.gif

HTH

.....Something that seems 'broke' to one person, might just be 'bent' for another.....

ROFLMFAO

Is bent an improvement or added functionality? It still shoots, it just patterns a little funny.

Rekd you very funny guy.....

I'm with Paul though this should work or the areas where it doesn't work should be grayed out atleast.

Thanks for the tips Jim. It's funny how in the most twisted threads there's always a little enlightenment to be had.

Happy New Year everybody.

quote:

I'm with Paul though this should work or the areas where it doesn't work should be grayed out atleast.

Me too. But I doubt there'll be many more point updates for version 9. Perhaps there's a way to grey them via a c-hook? *wink*bryan314*wink*

I just don't want to lose the functionality of the rest of it, because I use it. wink.gif