Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Everyone Simswap?

Storkman

Just got mine a couple weeks ago, finally remembered to send the old one in yesterday. I had the usb sim plugged in the front of the box for quick swapping the first day, until the cleaning guy came in with the sweeper. He makes me nervous. He's got the headlight on the thing, just needs bumpers, ABS, and air bags for the safety of the rest of us and our PC's.

Yep, I get the count down every time I start up. Down to 8 days remaining. Hope UPS didn't screw the pooch. Shipped it out Monday, hope I get the permanent code tomorrow. Won't start sweatin till next Thursday. Made sure I insured that little bugger so it'll all be good.

I have the same question:

quote:

Is there any reason USB is more desirable ?

I can see that it would be more handy as long as you have plenty of extra USB ports. Just for the simple fact that it is easier for taking it in and out of the computer. Parallel is free as it just runs though the Hasp in all cases I have seen. I will change as soon as I have many extra usb ports but other than ease of installation, what is the advantage?

Thanks

A lot of newer computers are coming without parallel ports is one reason moldmaker. This way as folks upgrade computers they don't have to worry about their sim working on the new pc. I actually think my parallel sim launches MCam 9 quicker than my USB Sim but it may be my imagination. I have a brand new laptop with 4 USB 2.0 ports so it should not be a port speed option. There will be a day not too far off when you won't find a floppy drive, serial port or parallel port on any pc.

Mike ,if I got you right you said school.

If you teach at a school this is not the right way to go.

I am in the middle of changing the school I teach.

They have 42 seats all using White Hasp.

I am taking them all out and moved them to a Network hasp ,this is best for a school.

But I have to pull every computer a part as they had put the keys on the inside. curse.gif

USB is waser to move from computer to computer and if needed ease of taking home for working and on laptops.

Here's my understanding of the Sim Swap:

If you are on Maintenance and have a parallel port hasp, you can download this Sim utility to determine if you have a hasp 3 or a Hasp 4. Mastercam X will require a Hasp 4 type sim.

http://www.mastercam.com/forms/simswap/haspinfo.exe

If you have a Hasp 3 you may exchange it for a Hasp 4 in a Parallel or USB type key. My understanding is, there is no charge for this.

http://www.simswap.com

If you are NOT on maintenance or already have a Hasp 4 parallel key. There is a charge to change over to a USB type key.

Mike Mattera

I went to do a simswap but it would not accept my sims "unique ID" because it has letters in it...i even tried leaving the letters out but still no go. Did anyone else have any problems like this? ....I used the testhasp program to get my sim # and unique id #...dont know what else to do. Thanks ~~~~~~~Shady

If anyone else has this problem please just contact Mastercam Support at: 860-875-5006. Evidently if your unique ID contains letters then you cannot use the simswap web site to update. If you contact tech support they should be able to hook you up...it should be a free upgrade from a hasp3 to a usb hasp if you are on maintenance. ~~~~~~~~Shady

Wow...24 hrs after talking to the nice people at cnc software, I now have my new usb sim. That is pretty amazing.

Thanks everyone at CNC Software for being so nice and so fast in helping with the upgrade. You guys are the best ! ~~~~~~~~Shady