Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

BIG gouge

somename75

I have been having a nasty re-occuring problem with surface rough pocket. The op gouges the heck out of my part, but will fix itself if I do a RANDOM number of regens on it, when it isn't X ed out, ie, meaning the op doesnt say it needs to be re-gened but if i do it anyway a few times the problem will clear up. My re-seller and I have tried to fix this many times to no avail. CNC software is also aware of it, but say I am the only one who has seen this problem. I am sure that they are both doing their best to help me out here, but in the mean time I am in a world of shat with my bosses and co-workers. Any and all help very much apreaciated. Mill level 3 with the sept maintence. Winblows xp sp2 on a dell.

The file is called ouch.mc9 on the ftp in mc9 folder

Thanks guys

OW, that hurts, I was really hoping that it was just me, and that once fixed I would be able to trust surface rough pocket ops. I doubt that I can justify buying vericut to the bosses, as a co-worker does these same parts in smartcam without this gouging problem. I will keep plugging away untill I can find a nice work-around. Thanks for teh reply and the honesty Ron.

Have a good weekend

NO PROBLEMS, with V9.1SP2 and v9.1MR0304.

If you say that

"...but will fix itself if I do a RANDOM number of regens on it,.."

Its an hardware problem... probably memory...

Install Mastercam on another computer and try the same file... It will work fine!

If you want to compare the toolpath to the part, to check for restmaterial you can use Verify with option compare to STL. (no need for any other software)

Gilberto

www.grandesoft.pt

Your not crazy! I know EXACTLY what your talking about. I've had it on surf-rough-pocket, as well as other 2d pocketing routines. Seems most prevalent in zig-zag, constant overlap clean corners seems to help.

Also, it DOES NOT show up in verify! BUT it does show up in the backplot. Is'nt a rapid move, but a g01 feed move that completly violates a boundry...usually returing to a start position, keeps the tool down and plows right through the side of a part.

I hear your pain.

I haven't looked at your file, but I will tell you that we use rough pocket on EVERY 3D job we run and the only problem we've ever had was that we used Parallel Spiral instead of Constant Overlap Spiral. I just remembered, we did have one issue with the program violating the part, but it was a post issue with breakarcs. When we changed the post setting, all was fine. Here is my old thread.

The problem with the post issue did not show up in verify, backplot, or the machine (Fadal) graphics. It just did it. The issue we had with Parallel Spiral showed up in the graphics, we just didn't watch every pass in verify to see it. I will never EVER again use Parallel Spiral because it will cut down some passes, maybe 1" deep, then realize that there is stock to be cut in that area and plow right through it.

I'll look at your file tommorow if I get a chance.

Thad

I havent looked at your file, but I think Ive seen this same thing, or similar, with surface rough pockets as well, from small gouges to entire areas of the part wiped out at certain levels... These issues do show up in backplot, but sometimes are hard to see...I dont know about verify, it takes way too long to produce results for me to use it on 95% of my parts.

I suspect, in my experience anyway, that its somehow tied to using the Detect Flats option in depth cuts. I have since stopped using the Detect Flats button, and have started manually picking depths when needed with the Critical Depths button and havent had this happen to me for quite some time now

somename 75,

I have had a look at your file, and I see the gouge in backplot and in verify.

If I do a regen on it, it is fixed correctly.

cmr,zero, and thad; 2 things that I do BEFORE any

toolpath generation are: screen, next menu, combine views.This fixes any arc flipped conditions, and I also anaylze,surfaces,test normals, and check model. Fix anything that it tells you that is wrong.(if you are using solids, anaylze, surfaces, check solid). In this case, I did all these checks, and it "combined" 94 arcs.

However, I do not think that this would help you,

because I deleted all the geo except for the containment boundry to see if one of the flipped arcs was causing this problem. It wasn't.

One thing that you are using that I would not, is the "create arcs in xy" in the rough parameters, total tolerance settings. I know lots of forum members use this, however, I don't because I have seen too many errors on **dal machine tools.

After trying all this(some might help you), what Gilberto says, also might help.

Bruce

Thanks for all the input guys, just to clarify a little, changing containment boundries or anything like that will cause a regen. The gouge will go away with changing no parameter and just hitting regen a few times.

Gilberto, my reseller and CNC software have both seen this happen with my file on Their systems, so is would seem unlikely that it is a harware issue.

I guess Im up a creek without a paddle for right now banghead.gifbanghead.gif I was just hoping that one of you evil genuises would have a suggestion that might help CNC or my reseller get this resolved.

Thanks agian

Dave

Also make sure that your retract is absolute instead of relative. I've never seen this problem with our Fadals using surface-rough-pocket (that I can remember anyway), but it often happens in restmill when you've got a really cluttered cavity.

BTW, I haven't seen your part. No MC at home. smile.gif

John

Somename 75,

I have never toolpathed solid geometry before... and I've never had this problem either... Could that be it ? Why don't you "create surface", "next menu", "from solid" and select either the entire solid or just the faces you need... I really think that will help you... How long has it been an option to toolpath solids ? Could there be a bug there ?

Then, to state the obvious, you will remove the solid drive surfaces and add the new surfaces for drive surfaces in your operation...

OOH OOH Pick me ! I wanna be the evil genius ! idea.gif

CNC software has found the problem and it has been fixed in version X. They said it has been a solids problem that might have been around since version 8, but it has been spotty. Thanks to those who tried to help, hope X comes out soon.

All in all My re-seller and CNC have been pretty good in helping with this incredibly frustrating problem.