Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Can't contain endmill using solid drawing?

Rob B

I have basicly got my part programed. The problem that I am having is my end mill doesn't stop at the boundary's that I have set for it.

I have loaded the file on the ftp page as RB1.mc9 in the MC9 folder.

I need to run the profile along the top of the fin without getting into the stem at the end of the program.

I am using 5/8 ball to rough then 1/4 ball to rough then 4mm to finish with.

My drawing doesn't show the groove along the top of the fin. I have projected the yellow line to represent were the groove is suppose to be.

The groove needs to stop as close to the fin as posible.

Any help with this would be greatly apperciated!!!

Thanks

Lee K. White,

quote:

Machining to solids is buggy.

Do you have any instances where you've experienced bugs when trying to generate toolpaths on solids? If you have, did you speak with your reseller? Was it logged as a bug with CNC Software? Where's your proof that these things you experienced were bugs? Please refrain from generalizations if they're not confirmed. cheers.gif

Peter,

Has been discussed at length on here in the past.

It's just best not to machine from solids.

The behind the scenes generation of Surfaces is not the same as creating them yourself and then getting mastercam to machine from them.

It has happened to me lots.

+1 robk and Storkman!

Rob (topic starter),

The surface project toolpath should do what you want. The issue I see is that you have not selected all the relevant solid Faces for the toolpath. Because of this, Mcam is not aware there are other boundaries that you don't want to gouge. It will only machine what you told it to machine. I usually select the whole solid part and let the containment boundaries keep the toolpath to a certain area. This allows for all possible solid, or surface rolleyes.gif boundaries to be used for the toolpath calculation. Add drive faces and a Retract height and I'm sure you'll see an improvement. HTH cheers.gif

Thanks for the input.

I will be out of the shop until monday. I will take the above advice, and see what I come up with. I have been programming to solids for 6months to a year, and still haven't got all the little in and outs worked out. But I am learning a lot in the process. With most of the credit going to the people on this forum.

I will let you guys know the updates on Monday.

Thanks

Rob

Are you aware that as you move your cursor over the solid faces, there will be 2 different cursors... One that looks like a 3-d box and the other that looks like a flat sheet... If you click while the flat sheet is displayed, you can select or unselect a single face... This is one thing I've never experienced a bug with... And I've been using since version 8.1

You can also select which of the selection parameters you want to use by selecting faces y/n

solids y/n

What happens to me lots is that when I use a solid to machine from, quite often MCam ignores say a top surface and contours down each side of an internal diameter, in other words gouging right through the part.

What I was advised quite some time ago was to make surfaces from the solid, and then machine to them. Works great everytime.

My 2 cents.

Hey Pete,

Tried what you suggest on picking the complete solid, not just faces, and it fixed my problem. I want to thank you for the help. Seems like every month or to I have a new job to come along that needs something ran from a different type of solid toolpath.

I don't mean to wear on anyone, I'm just trying to up my skills with MC, which means I will have more value to the in myself and the company.

Thanks to all!!!

Rob,

Glad I could help you out. Solids is just geometry like surfaces and wireframe. It takes a little more understanding to select it for toolpaths, but generally once you get it, it makes sense.

cmr,

That's usually why I select the whole solid part as drive geometry and generate tool boundaries to help it contain the toolpath. Selecting individual faces is easier when they're not shaded. The selection color for solid faces is red. If your solid part is red, it can become very difficult to distinguish what has been selected for toolpaths and what is just normal display of solid data. HTH biggrin.gif