Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

IOMEGA Zip Drive (parallel port)

ChrisD

Hello All.

The company has purchased for me an Iomega Zip external drive. It has a parallel port hookup. It came with the utlity or setup cd. I was wondering if it would cause any problems with my hasp. If so than, what can be done.

Any body have experience installing this type of thing.

Mastercam 8.1 and Windows NT

Thanks in advance

Chris

Well chris,

For starter do not but the hasp key on the printer port of the ZIP drive.

if you have to pluge the Zip into the hasp.

i usded to run one a while back still have one.

went to the internal ones work a little better.

it will work fine with MC & WinNT or WIN2k have done both in the past.

Witch NT are you running NT4 or 2K?

On my system at home, I have an old external parallel Iomega Zip 100 drive that I keep around for no particular reason smile.gif I've never had a problem with the Zip drive and my Mastercam HASP. However, I have heard of people having problems with the HASP and other peripherals on their parallel port. If you're using a relatively new PC and the parallel port is capable of running in EPP or ECP mode, you should be fine. Hope this helps smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've got one on my laptop. Never had a problem. Externals are a tad on the slow side but are much better than spanning a bunch of floppys.

Just my $02

Wasn't the flush toilet invented by Mr. Crapper? Mr. (or Mrs.) Dongle? biggrin.gif

Webopedia's definition of dongle can be found at http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/dongle.html

Some companies that produce software protection dongles are Aladdin ( http://www.ealaddin.com/ ) and Rainbow Technologies ( http://www.rainbow.com/ ). Aladdin makes the HASP product; the one that Mastercam uses.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Did you know that you can get a USB dongle? They come off easy but for facilities that are not concerned with theft/security or if you happen to posess a computer without a parallel port you have an option.