Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rol/Unroll surface.

Mekanikal

Hello, everyone. After a long time I guess. frown.gif

I got stucked in a sort of modeling problem. I have searched the forum but didn't come up with satisfying answers. All I need is to roll a flat surface around an axis by 360degree, or unroll a cylinderical surface to get a flat one. Similar to Xform--roll/unroll. But instead of wireframe I want to perform this operation on surfaces.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx.

One way to unroll a surface (in MC) would be to create a toolpath with a zero cutter and recover the cuts as splines. Then unroll them, and make the surface from them in the flat. Be aware that if you try to machine the unrolled surfaces, the surface normals will not be correct, so the cutter offsets would be 'off'. I have considered trying to create a 'correction' program to machine unrolled surfaces, but I haven't done it yet.

It can be done using combination of c-hooks :

FLATSRF.DLL, map.dll,con2spl.dll, map.dll .

Q. Why I must use surface curves entety type

A. Map c-hook use only this type of enteties for mapping

quote: Description:

This C-hook allows for mapping a surface curve from one surface

to another. Map simply copies the u, v coordinates from the selected

surface curve (optionally swapping u and v) to the new surface curve and

connects it to a new parent surface. The resulting shape of the new surface

curve is a function of the u, v coordinates of the selected surface curve and

the shape of the new parent surface. Generally, results in surface curve

"morphing" from the first surface to the second surface.

Use in connection with the surface flattening C-Hook (flatsrf.dll) for

mapping curves from the flat to the original surface. Use Toolpaths /

Multiaxis / Curve5ax for making a toolpath (5-axis or 3-axis) on the surface

curve.

Q. why I must convert surface curves with con2spl c-hook ?

A. You can not use surface curves for toolpathes geometry

quote: Creates parametric spline(s) from surface curve(s).

Typically, con2spl is needed after running the map C-Hook, since

map can only create surface curves.

Have fun !

Mekanikal,

I'm trying to get an idea of why you need to unroll this surface. Sometimes rotary parts need a special solution or cutting method. I get involved in the peculiar. If we see a class of work, sometimes it results in a new c-hook. A class of work that's too small for that may only need a tweak in a post. E-mail me direct.

I need a hint of the TYPE of surface you're trying to cut. For gentle curvatures, there's lead/lag type of machining, that works fine without unrolling. If a radial surface is involved, you might want to use ROLLDIE. For certain leadscrew problems, I'm building something special right now. Lemme see a part.

• 17 years later...
1 hour ago, squirrel_41 said:

Hi all I have tried many times to use map.dll I select the surface to map then the surface to map to but nothing happens even watching the  part count in layers does not increase.

Can anyone shed some light as to what I am doing wrong I have mastercam 2017

Cheer's

This Chook maps a 'surface curve' entity from a surface to an other.

Beforehand, check you really get this 'surface curve' entity (and not only a NURBS spline)

1 hour ago, squirrel_41 said:

Hi all I have tried many times to use map.dll I select the surface to map then the surface to map to but nothing happens even watching the  part count in layers does not increase.

Can anyone shed some light as to what I am doing wrong I have mastercam 2017

Cheer's

After creating edge curves (this creates splines), you have to use the 'Curve Surface' command (in the Drop-Down Menu, under the "curves" section of the Wireframe Ribbon), to convert the Splines into "Surface Curves", before they can be mapped to the flattened surface.

You should only use "Map.dll", and "Flatten.dll" on surfaces that are curved in two directions. Otherwise, you can just use Roll/Unroll under the Transform Ribbon, which will work with Splines.