Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

haas with hsm option?

Gary

We have a vf-5 with the hsm option and the machine will go balls out in straight longer straight line and larger arc moves with good accuracy. But with very short line moves it slows down like it should but its motions are jerky and show up in the part finish. It acts like a data starvation problem. I am wondering if any of you notice this and or have you come up with a solution besides slowing down the feedrates alot. I guess is there any control setting i don't no about. thanks

The machine is hooked to a computer but the buffer is way ahead of the code being read. IT does this even when machine has found end of the program or if it is one that has being run right from memory. I have the machine set to .005 on setting 187 had it at .001 for awhile and did not notice much difference. The machine just doesn't seem smooth like i hae ssen on the mazaks our neighbor shop runs. Maybe I'm just expecting to much.

quote:

The machine just doesn't seem smooth like i hae ssen on the mazaks our neighbor shop runs.

Well not trying to sound like an arse but a Pinto in not in the same class as a proshe. You got the pinto to get the work done. It is cheaper, it is less quality and it less rigid. It's spindle sucks and I love it when you try to point out a problem to them and they think you are stupid. Funny thing was on the SS where they had to rplace 7 motor in less than 5 months the whole time I am telling thme it is the way the motor is made they whole time like I am talking to a brick wall. I wish you luck but if you expect to get the same thing out of a Haas that you get out of a Mazak you will never be happy. Slow it down slow it down slow it down then you stay in the area it is made for about 125 to 150 ipm does great try getting up to 400 ipm and it will run itself out of your shop.

Good luck for the money a good machine but not a MAZAK by any stretch of the imingation sorry.

Yeah thats what i thought Ron said it all. Just when you ask the haas guys about this they act like your from another planet like the machine will run 300-400ipm with no problems at all. The machine does it, it just ain't smooth. I was just hoping the machine would be smoother thats all. Again thanks for the imput.

Haas are pretty good machines for Aluminum and light duty materials. You can run pretty fast with light stuff. I have done good with the vf-3, vf-4, and the older vf-1, but if you are running anything meaner than 10 series low carbon steel sllooooww down. That is the only way to get the smooth finish with the Haas. Rip on the rough, finesse the finish

Haas are pretty good machines for Aluminum and light duty materials. You can run pretty fast with light stuff. I have done good with the vf-3, vf-4, and the older vf-1, but if you are running anything meaner than 10 series low carbon steel sllooooww down. That is the only way to get the smooth finish with the Haas. Rip on the rough, finesse the finish

Gary

The way you are able to smooth the jerky motion out on a Haas machine is by setting 85; parameters 302, 303, 314. These work together to smooth out the motion. What software version are you running on your Haas?

Here is some information on setting 85 MAX CORNER ROUNDING:

Defines the accuracy of corners within a selected tolerance. Initial default value is set to .05 inch. If this setting is zero, the control acts as if exact stop is commanded on each motion block. As some machines use various pitch ball screws, the control will take the lesser of the allowed error in encoder counts from all axes in order to maximize machining accuracy.

Beginning with mill version 9.38, parameter 134 is used as a floor so the machine will not slow down to extremely slow speeds. Alternatively, a G187 can be used in the program to alter the effective value of setting 85 without permanently changing that setting. This method likewise takes advantage of the floor, but does not require that the machine be rebooted. The amount of slow down that occurs depends on how one stroke blends with the next. (default for this setting on a new machine is set to .0250 for inch and 0.6350 for metric)

Parameters

302 FEED ACCELERATION

303 FEED TIME CONSTANT

314 FEED DELTA V

Here are some values I would try for these three parameters:

302=1000000

303=4

314=16

or

302=5000000

303=5

314=160

You machine probably has the following:

302=3000000

303=3

314=24

Try both the top two suggestions along with setting 85. You might be pleased with the results as they have worked for me depending on my application. I know the reason for jerky motion is due to having lots of short strokes withing the program. Changing these parameters will help improve this besides reposting your program with longer strokes. I would like to know how these parameters work for you. REMEMBER...cycly the power on your machine once you make the changes for them to take effect. smile.gif

quote:

part of the problem may also be that Haas only offers an 80 block look-ahead, which might slow you down on small moves

+1 to Peter

We have HSM on all ours and it doesn't work too good on 3-d models that interpolate as into small line moves instead of arcs. Most 3-d work with DRAFT, will not interpolate all the rounds into arcs.

You can run your arc filter tolerance as loose possible to get as many arcs as you can, but will still get a bunch of small line moves anyway.....can we say s-t-u-d-d-e-r-...

This is why in order to go balls to the walls, I use the highfeed option while enabling corner rounding inside Mastercam's toolpaths to achieve optimum cycle times. The resulting acel/decel isn't as good as Makino od Mazak, but you can do pretty well....and not have to pay a mil to get it smile.gif

Murlin if you don't mind could you give me some rough settings for highfeed for the haas. I have not had time to play with it much. We do so many low quanity parts that i don't get the chance to play much. Gotta keep the crap cranking all the time.