Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Joining Lines

tada

I am importing in IGES files and having trouble chaining. I've tried to delete duplicate lines as well as joining the lines however there is an error "Cannot join the arcs-they do not have the same center and radius".

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Increasing chaining tolerance won't join the arcs, but it may help you chain them for toolpath creation.

If it was me, i would make sure the geo is all "as it should be", meaning if the lines and arcs are supposed to be connected, i would make sure they are.

You can do this a number of ways, but you may want to post the file, so we don't send you in the wrong direction.

Skinning the cat, method #23:

Creat new fillet radii along the chain in a color different from your existing wireframe and then delete the broken arcs using a color mask.

I get some "dirty" files like that and when deleting duplicate entities or combining views doesn't work, I create new ones or trim one of the arc fragments to make a complete arc. <

hi:

I have a problem similar well maybe, I received an iges file, but doesn´t contains a wires frames, so I really need the wire frame in order to create a tool paths, after I received this I export to Autocad and recognised as wire frames but not clean then I delete the exceed lines and merge it into mi 3d but there appear many lines and it does not too clear, so my question is if it is possible in mastercam to do wireframes of surfaces.

thank´s i hope you can help me!

Regarding IGES files that contain only sutfaces and no wireframe. The suggestion from Betts is valid, but tends to produce curves that are all splines, and are not conntected.

Here is another method:

Working with IGES files that come in with no wire frame.

This is common with files from Pro/e and SolidWorks where iges file is created with only surfaces.

In Mastercam, select “Screen”, “Statistics”. If only surfaces are listed, follow instructions below to create wireframe geometry (Lines, Arcs and Splines)

1. Set active Level to 10

2. Select “Xform”, “Translate”, “all”, “Entities”, “Done”, “Rectang”. Enter “0,0,0” for distance to move. In Translate box select “Move”, and check “Use construction attributes”

3. Set active level to 5, and set level 10 to NOT visible.

You should now have a blank screen.

4. From Main Menu, select “Screen”, “Blank”, “UnBlank”, “All”, “Entities”, “Yes”

5. Select Main Menu

The wire frame geometry should now be visible, and the surfaces are on level 10 if needed.

Bryan

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing there. I assume the levels you used were for example purposes. Are you saying that translating the surfaces, when there is no wire frame, will create wire frame? Maybe you could clarify.

betts,

Yes. The the level numbers are just for example, and assume all entities are on level 1.

Translating the surfaces does not create the curves. The curves are already in the file and are "blanked". The translate step is used to capture all the construction curves asociated with the surfaces so that they are NOT unblanked in the next step.

Find Overlap entities never hurts

I do not beleive there is such a thing as surfs without associated geometry. Try Screen Screen Ststistics and note all the trimmed surfs. Check your blank database and see.

Chuck-E-cheeze

AKA MMS subscriber Amanda Rekonwith