Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Chamfer Error

Leehound

I am trying to put a 45 degree chamfer on a solid. The file is located on the FTP site under the MC9 directory, the file is CHAMFER_ERROR.mc9.

I keep getting an error message: "Angle between faces varies, cannot chamfer" There should be some way of getting solids to put a chafer where I need, but I havn't figured it out. Can someone look at my file? The chamfer I need is marked with red lines.

Thanks

Im tryin Leehound,

Im cant get it either! It runs a fillet around there fine but cant get the chamfer. I hope someone else will grab it and take a look at it. Im curious to find how it gets done. Thought I was pretty good with solids but something that should seem easy is really pullin my hair out!

I"ll keep tryin.

Kannon123

quote:

chamfer_error_fixed.mc9 is available on the same folder you uploaded to .ftp hope it's what you wanted.

You did it! Now I need to know how? Your file is a solid with no history. I have four more that are simular.

Thanks

I cheated...

exported to SW then imported back to MC.

It would seem that MC solids doesn't support this type of feature irregularity, but I can't explain why it wouldn't. doesn't really make since to me.

if you notice that around the edge of the part the 'land' is thinner at say 90' and 270' than 0' and 180', (or vice-versa) that could be what's throwing MC solids. I'm noticing a possible pattern with this type of complicated solid geo. with the problems that MC Direct has in importing complicated solid geo.

For a lack of a better phrase, or understanding for that matter, it seems SW and MC identify/create fillets and chamfer (mostly chamfers) differently. or not.

Im still working on it cause it bothers me so bad!

quote:

Your file is a solid with no history.

With this said I am guessing it was done with surfaces and converted back to a solid afterwards.

I think that is what created the solid with no history.

I am anxiously waiting to find out how this was done. cheers.gif

quote:

I noticed this also. This may be a dumb question,but....was this intentional, Leehound, or did you mean to have uniform land the whole way around?

Yes there should be .015 of flat before the chamfer starts.

After looking at Kinglouie's model closer, I see that the .015 flat is not consistant. I am going to have to figure out another way of doing it.

quote:

I was able to maintain your .015 land by using a sweep. My attempt is in the mc9 folder CHAMFER_ERROR_AB.mc9

That looked pretty good, But unfortunatley you were not able to maintain the 45 degree angle. I am beginning to think that what I am after may not be possible. I need to maintain the .015 land and the 45 degree angle. It looks like I might have to tell the customer that he can't have both.

quote:

Here is my go at it using the tools in MC solids.

I think this is what you are looking for.

mc9 file dir; "chamfer_error_bg.mc9

Bruce,

You nailed it! All the other tries were admirable, but were just not quite right. Your try is perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Best of all you did it within solids and your method is easily repeatable for the other sizes that I have.

I think that CNC Software should look at this part. The chamfer function should have been able to handle this.

Thanks Bruce and to all who tried to help. This forum once again comes through.

Leehound and other forum members;

The "error" that you were getting in this file is

not a problem of the chamfer in solids. Trying to create a chamfer AND a .015 wide flat at the same time on a feature of the part that the angle continuously changes will not work. You need to separate the features you are trying to create.

So you need to create the .015 flat first, then create the angle, then "cut" the top.

Bruce.

quote:

Leehound and other forum members;

The "error" that you were getting in this file is

not a problem of the chamfer in solids. Trying to create a chamfer AND a .015 wide flat at the same time on a feature of the part that the angle continuously changes will not work. You need to separate the features you are trying to create.

So you need to create the .015 flat first, then create the angle, then "cut" the top.

Bruce.

Bruce,

I agree that the .015 flat needed to be created seperatly, but you used Draft Face not the Chamfer function. The chamfer function will not create anything irregardless of the flat. I still think that the chamfer function needs improvement.

Bruce you enlightened me to "Draft Face", something I have rarely used. THANKS!

• 9 years later...