Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

routers

TREV

hello,

a question for the wood workers out there.

im looking for a few sugestions on brands.

1)needs to have 4'x8' cut area

2)z clearance should be between 5 and 6 inches

3)preferably some sort of fanuc control

4)vacuum table

5)preferably linear guides

6)stepper motor

7)AFORDABLE for a hobbiest

any feedback greatly appreciated,

thanks trevor

We run exclusively Thermwood routers at our facility, but I have been researching other routers for some time now. MultiCAM based out of Dallas, TX looks like they offer a reasonable low end 3 axis router. The one I looked at was 65K-70K. The controller looks a little suspect though. Also do not know about rigidity? They have their own software package as well??? Beyond that Thermwood and Quintax would be my suggestion. Haas is also offering a line of routers now. However I have not read or seen anything on them yet. HTH.

thanks for the replies,

i had been looking at motionmaster, so thanks for the heads up ,leandro.

- dgriffiths

qoute:looks like they offer a reasonable low end 3 axis router. The one I looked at was 65K-70K. The controller looks a little suspect

thats not quite affordable for a hobbiiest smile.gif but thanks for the info

thanks ,trevor

Trev,

We bought a Router from a small company in western PA called CNCAutomotion. The router is a very stoutly built machine with fixed gantry. They will also do custom designs. Unfortunately they use Centroid controllers (or at least they did when we got ours 5 years ago.) Since you're so close, you could probably visit their factory in Warren, PA. Tell Ted and Jeff I sent you. Their website is: http://www.cncmotion.com/

Trev,

Our former tech has a brand new 5x10 gantry that we built as a prototype. It has a xxxxor 8050 control which we don't use any more. He just made it into an automatic 6 position toolchanger model. Right now it has a smooth phenolic table but can be machined for vacuum. I don't know what he is asking but it is a new machine. Email me and I will get some specifics on it from him.

We use a shopbot 4 x 8 router at the school where I teach and we have been extremely happy with it. for a hobbiest I think it would be ideal. We paid 13000.00 Canadian 4 yrs ago and have nothing but good luck with it. granted it won't compete with a 100,000.00 machine but it will do some impressive stuff. Check it out at shopbottools.com and let me know what you think. I'm just waiting for some replies on this one.

Mike

Trev,

I think some of the guys in here do not realize that you are PERSONALY looking at purchasing a 3 axis router....

This is not for use at your employers Right ??? YOU are going to buy it ?? Right ?

then if the above is true.. the Technos, Shop-bot ect. are a good choice. although try to see and touch before you buy some models are really flimsy.

quote:

I think "cnc router" and "hobbiest" do NOT go hand in hand.

i am looking in the 15000 dollar range.there are quite a few out there in that price range ,just looking for feed back.

thanks for all the replies.

i do know a few car hobbiest that spend 5 times that on a car restore project,i just wanted to try and get across that i am not a big or even fulltime wood worker.

tommy ill be sending you mail,thanks

thanks,

trevor

we have a MultiCam here at Eastech, which I have used from its arrival back in december. It's a full sized moving Gantry machine. (MG5000) I haven't had any trouble out of it, and the control is easy to operate and learn.

We sell MultiCam for Kentucky and Indiana, but I'm not in sales. I do have to use and fix these machines, though.

While I cannot attest to the durability and qualities of other machines, I can suggest that you should at least have someone show you one. I like them a great deal.

------------------------------------------------

We have a Motionmaster Router. (Vista,CA) But we have got a lot of trouble.

I think Motionmaster is still broken.

------------------------------------------------

We have 4 Motionmaster Routers. They all use a xxxxor control and I wouldn't say we have to many problems with them.

JM2C

Glenn