Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

(Help) 3d rough casting

ChrisH

Hi,

Im trying to rough a 3d casting. I would like some help on the best way to keep the tool on the steel. I can't seem to get anything to work the way I want it to. I don't have a book for mastercam and I'm just starting to use it for all my 3d jobs. In the past I used WorkNC for all my 3d. banghead.gif

I'm roughing 3d runoff on a cast trim steel for a line die. The castings are about 15mm heavy. And I have to rough them and finish the 3d trim edge. the trim edge is about 25mm wide. They are for final trim on something like car body side or fender.

Hi Chris. you cant really define a casting for 3d roughing frown.gif you will get air cuts. 1 of those wish fors I guess. you may want to run multi finish 3d cuts to get it to drive on the surfaces. if all else fails call Joel B. from axsys. I think he is usually around Grand Rapids most of the time. I'll be in Grand Haven 2nd weekend of July if you want to bring your laptop to the beach I'll help ya out biggrin.gif

I tryed 3d contour and i can't get it to step down it wants to take all of the 15mm in one step. I need it to work down like a pocket rough would.I have 4 small mill that can only take about 1.5mm depth of cut with a 1" cutter.

Is there a place to put that there is 15mm of stock over the solid/surface?

A method that has been mentioned here in the past is to program a Surface-Rough-Pocket leaving your approx stock (15 mm). Then create a Restmill toolpath referencing your rough pocket. Don't run the Surface-Rough-Pocket, just run the Restmill.

I believe it was Iskander who originated that one.

BTW, there was a fairly recent thread on how to eliminate air cutting on Restmill toolpaths. You may want to search for that also.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

Thad

quote:

Are you talking about 3D there is not multi pass in surface / rough / 3d contour?

What I was talking about was cutting the parameter with a simple contour, using a boundary and no surfaces.

You can choose from a 2-d or 3-d cut. It will do multi passes and depth cuts.

Murlin teh why use surface when a line will do wink.gif

Stock Model recognition. Man now thats the life. biggrin.gif Could you do a surf rough pocket with 2 boundries and absolute depth cuts to control the first depth of cut so it don't start at the top of the part. Will still get air on the lower valleys though. I like Rons finish path ideas the best.